Coil spring spacer? doable? good idea/bad?

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
Just curious if it's feasible to have 2 spring spacers made for the two front coil springs. Reason being that the springs (RS*R race) sit 1/4 inch too low in the front, or 1/4 inch too high in the rear either way you look at it. Being a street car, I figured, rather than messing with the rear spring (cutting or what have you) it'd be a better idea to raise the front using some custom spacers.

So, have at it guys, good idea? bad? doable?

Black Cat

Sep 11, 2009
Fort Bragg NC
I would say depending on how you install the spacers it should be just fine,
Just keep in mind that installing it in the coil over will lift and change the spring rate (if I'm not mistaken)
where as installing it on top of the coil over will just lift it but you may need longer studs for that and I'm not sure if you can even change them.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
yeah, I figured making one to sit on top would be fine.... I'll be running RS*R race springs with bilstein shocks and Tein pillowball mounts

*edit: oh, I see, you're saying I should make the spacer for the upper mounts... ok.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Mar 31, 2005
Vienna, VA
I've had spacers for many years on my front shocks that raise the lower spring perch. They are short tubes I turned out of some chrome-moly steel that slip over the shock body and sit on the clip there. The lower perch sits on my tube. The shocks are Koni yellows, and the springs are Tokiko's. I wanted the lower control arms parallel to the ground, and this was the easiest way to do it. I lost a little droop travel, but it's not much.

For 1/4", I'd make a spacer that goes between the upper mount and body, as suggested by BlackDevilSupra.

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
The bilstiens have a 3 level perch adjutment but I have mine set the highest with tein springs and its srill too low. Was even lower with eibachs but I had some spring spacers pit in ju so the tires didn't rub, the teins have to big a gap on the spring to install them.