Codes 32 and 51, Engine dies when put in gear.

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
Hey all;

It's been quite a while since I've posted last... My car's been down for the last couple years while I've done a rebuild.

The car's finally back together. It fires up, runs and revs great... until it's placed into gear (automatic). When it's put into gear, the RPMs drop and the car dies, throwing codes 32 (AFM) and 51 (real time code for TPS, TB and AC). I'm assuming the code 32 is the issue here, however I'm no pro at this (my mechanic's currently looking it over, but I'm hoping you all may be able to offer some insight)...

Some background...

My car ran fine before putting it down, however I had a minor rod knock that persuaded me to do the build. No codes or anything.

I'm currently running the following (some is irrelevant, but figure it may help):

CP Pistons, .020" over
BC Pro Rods
BC 272 degree (stage 3) cams
BC Stainless steel valves / titanium springs
Fidanza adjustable cam gears
HKS Stopper MHG
ARP head studs
ARP main bolts

Turbo is stock with 3" DDP running to 3" high flow cat. Haven't put on cat-back yet.
Stock 7M-GTE AFM - was working fine before all this.

No electronics / tune yet.

I appreciate any help offered!!! Let me know if any further information is needed.

Thanks!

James

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
We got rid of the 32. It turned out to be a gasket blocking part of the intake airway if I understood correctly... What is a code 32? I got that from CYGNUS, sorry about that!

My mechanic says I need a tune.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I ask this, because i recently rebuilt the transmission in my 93 trooper, and every time i took it out of park or neutral, it would die. The engine wouldn't stumble and 'give out', it would shut off. Found out that i had left an external ground wire disconnected, that controlled the internal solenoids. I know you don't drive a trooper, but is there possibly a disconnected wire on the tranny harness that could have been overlooked? I just thought that this could be an outside possibility.

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
I'll certainly check into that. My car's up in MD, so I won't have another chance to get back up there for a week or so. I'll post what I find.

Thanks!

James

theprodigy79

Irish Cream
Mar 5, 2007
Centreville, VA
I called up my mechanic and he's actually been tinkering a bit. He cleared both codes - the 32 was a gasket that had 'seeped' into the intake, and the 51 was a loose connection on the TPS.

The car does run in neutral and in park, however it sputters and dies when put in gear - UNTIL it warms up completely. So, once the car is warmed up, it actually drives now.

I'm hunting down an AEM wideband right now, and I'll be going for engine management after that.