Code 51

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
So I got a code 51. The car hasn't been running quite right and today really started running bad. Bad enough to throw a code. Woo Hoo!!

I checked for codes yesterday....nothing! Today after running like poop...51!

About a month ago I checked the TPS per the TSRM and all was good. I have two spares and will change that out this weekend.

I'm just wondering if anyone has had something other than a bad TPS cause this code?

Thanks!

boosted2085

I was spoolin :(
Mar 1, 2009
houston,tx
ive gotten 51 after the maftpro install and i just went back and adjusted the tps with the diagnosis on till the cel went off even though it was off just a hair..it could be simple as a loose screw on the tps

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
If the AC button is depressed or you have your foot on the gas pedal while checking codes, a code 51 will always appear...it is an indication of IDL...it's simply a switch that tells the ECU when the TB plate is open/closed. It's a real time code (the only one)...think about it, if the TB plate is cracked, you don't want the ECU to think it should be in idle mode.

Otherwise, it's a TPS adjustment or your TB plate is cracked open.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
I'll check for loose screws and re-test per the TSRM.

My A/C Button wasn't on and the pedal wasn't down at all while checking codes. So that narrows it down to the throttle plate, adjustment, or bad TPS.

I'm going to clean the ISC Valve too. It's been doing this miss type of thing while at constant throttle. I was hoping to find it be something as simple as a dirty ISC Valve.

Plugs and wires are new. Replaced the coil pack and the timing is good. The only other thing I haven't done yet was the igniter ground mod.

Thanks for the insight guys!

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Code 51 is now gone.

The TPS was waaaay out of adjustment. I got it all dialed in and all measurements per the TSRM were good. So if it still has that constant throttle jitter, I'm going to tackle the ISC Valve.

One thing that scared the hershey's out of me tonight was that while on a test drive, the throttle stuck open for about a second. Just before redline the pedal popped back up. I didn't like that!

I'll lube up the pulleys and such tomorrow.

ssssssuprahh

Jul 20, 2009
toronto
CajunKenny;1420622 said:
Code 51 is now gone.

The TPS was waaaay out of adjustment. I got it all dialed in and all measurements per the TSRM were good. So if it still has that constant throttle jitter, I'm going to tackle the ISC Valve.

One thing that scared the hershey's out of me tonight was that while on a test drive, the throttle stuck open for about a second. Just before redline the pedal popped back up. I didn't like that!

I'll lube up the pulleys and such tomorrow.

how did you figure out it need to be adjusted and how much adjusting needed..im having the same problem but my timing is hi.....any ideas!!!?

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
ssssssuprahh;1425175 said:
how did you figure out it need to be adjusted and how much adjusting needed..im having the same problem but my timing is hi.....any ideas!!!?

I suspected the TPS because under WOT or substantial throttle there was no shutter/miss/hesitation; but, at constant throttle it would do it.

TPS's can develop a 'Flat Spot' in them which causes similar symptoms as described above. This 'Flat Spot' develops where you have your gas pedal most while driving.

My code 51 is now gone since the adjustments; but, the shutter/miss/hesitation is still there. It is VERY frustrating. More troubleshooting... ;)

On to your problem...

First, set your timing according to this:

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=IG&P=20

Then test your TPS according to this:

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=FI&P=101

Post up your findings and we'll go from there.

Good luck! :)

ssssssuprahh

Jul 20, 2009
toronto
CajunKenny;1425415 said:
I suspected the TPS because under WOT or substantial throttle there was no shutter/miss/hesitation; but, at constant throttle it would do it.

TPS's can develop a 'Flat Spot' in them which causes similar symptoms as described above. This 'Flat Spot' develops where you have your gas pedal most while driving.

My code 51 is now gone since the adjustments; but, the shutter/miss/hesitation is still there. It is VERY frustrating. More troubleshooting... ;)

On to your problem...

First, set your timing according to this:

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=IG&P=20

Then test your TPS according to this:

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=FI&P=101

Post up your findings and we'll go from there.

Good luck! :)

i solved the problem!!!!!....it was the tps and the cam sensor off a lil

symptoms: lazy start,timing really high 25 degrees, bad emmisions and code 51

answer:how i solved the problem i calibrated the tps while the vehicle was idling and that changed the idle and timing also adjusted the cam sensor about 8 degrees..sounds simple to such a big problem lol also emissions are really low now

im gonna get drunk then laid!!!!!!!

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
ssssssuprahh;1428861 said:
i solved the problem!!!!!....it was the tps and the cam sensor off a lil

symptoms: lazy start,timing really high 25 degrees, bad emmisions and code 51

answer:how i solved the problem i calibrated the tps while the vehicle was idling and that changed the idle and timing also adjusted the cam sensor about 8 degrees..sounds simple to such a big problem lol also emissions are really low now

Very nice! It's always good to hear success stories!

ssssssuprahh;1428861 said:
im gonna get drunk then laid!!!!!!!

^Good luck with that one! :biglaugh:;)