Code 51. Car won't start at all

Yblegal91t

it finally runs!
Apr 22, 2006
C1 outer
OK. So I've tested the TPS according to the TSRM with an ohmmeter and I'm getting 0 from E2 and IDL. then tested the whole circuit and same result.

Going back further the car ran fine. It had been tuned and running good for about 100 miles. Then upon acceleration at about 40mph one day, the engine and everything shut completely off as it blew the EFI fuse. Upon replacing the fuse I then got code 51 only.

Replaced the fuse and the car would start and idle at around 1100rpm for 2 minutes and then start falling in rpm till it dies. Now after waiting to work on the problem I finally got the car out of the garage and it wont even start now. ????

Only thing I have done in the meantime was replace the oil cooler and upgraded the lines to braided lines. But that's not related to this. I have plenty of oil, no leaks, and yeah its not related in any way.

My guess would be a faulty sensor. But this one is new with only 100 miles on it since the tune and car getting fixed at a shop.

Last edited:

suprashy

Jun 21, 2005
Nassau County, NY
Is the car cranking? I've been away for too long from the Supra scene, and I"m not expert, but you may try fiddling with the CPS wires, and then give it a shot.

Also other things that come to mind is the fusible link in the fuse box in the engine.

There's also a 7.5 A fuse labelled "GAUGES" in the drivers side kick panel.

Is the AFM plugged in?

I'm sure so more folks will chime in. Good luck!

Yblegal91t

it finally runs!
Apr 22, 2006
C1 outer
The car is cranking but with slight to no intentions of starting. It almost sounds like a backfire at times. just a pop here and there.

could it not be getting any fuel???? The afpr reads 38psi while cranking but possibly bad pump. I'm running a single walbro 255

My next step would be to make sure its def at TDC. I havent messed with the CPS or checked timing yet. Everything was dead on 100 miles ago but will look at that next time around. Only thing that i can think of is if it was advancing if i was running rich, which i was somewhat but not much. Also, I will need to look into how the maft-pro monitors timing.

I have also tried another working ECU with same results. so that rules that out. and CEL is showing response from both ECUs.

No afm here. Running speed density off maft-pro w/(GM map sensor)

Last edited: