Code 41 and Code 52 related?

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
I was having an issue with Code 41 a few months ago, I recal'd the TPS and it went away. It ran great for about 80 miles of driving, then a few days ago I was just cruising on the freeway and boom CEL comes on and the AFRs start jumping all around. I get off the freeway and the car starts running like crap (stumbles off the line, very rich under throttle). I pull over and check the codes and I have Code 41 (TPS AGAIN!) and Code 52 (Knock Sensor). I pulled the ECU fuse for 20-30 seconds to reset the codes, then I kept driving...no codes. I drove the car home (~20 miles)...no codes.

The KS rewire "mod" was performed a few years ago, and the TPS was just recal'd before these last codes.

I was talking to a friend of mine and he said that Toyota computers have a minimum drive time/distance before the system can complete a full diagnostic and display any codes...I dont think this is correct and I can't find any references to this, but I figure JJ or one of the other TCCS experts can confirm or deny this. I think this is only on newer cars that have the OBD plug for emissions...

So my question is, is there some relation between Code 41 and Code 52? I wouldn't think they would be related, it just seems so odd that I got BOTH codes out of nowhere while just cruising on the freeway.

At first I thought the TPS might have shifted some (maybe I didnt get the screws tightened enough or whatever), causing a lean condition, causing knock, which caused the Code 52...but from what I have been reading...it seems the Code 52 doesnt indicate a knock was detected...it indicates a Knock Sensor Circuit error...

Second thought was the minimum drive time/distance thing. Maybe when I reset the ECU after recal'ing the TPS it reset the "counter" (and I actually didnt fix the original Code 41) so when I hit the minimum while crusing the TCCS now had enought data to display the errors. But I dont think that is how the TCCS works...

Any and all input is appreciated

BryanDyer

Jun 13, 2012
Georgia
52 won't go off because of knock. It's strictly a wiring or short issue and rarely an ECU issue. What kind of wire were your knock sensors rewired with?

DeMoN2318

May 24, 2012
Arizona
BryanDyer;1990163 said:
52 won't go off because of knock. It's strictly a wiring or short issue and rarely an ECU issue. What kind of wire were your knock sensors rewired with?

Some Coax Cable...

The PO did it...