Code 34 - Fixed IC Piping, How to Clean AFM?

CBatstone

Burlington, VT &Wolfeboro
Sep 22, 2006
Vermont
www.thirtythree.org
We got the car running and it would not boost at all. Code 34. Found a loose intercooler clamp and tightened it. The car seemed to run better but was still running to rich 10.0 at WOT. Pressure checked the system. Found some more leaks. The clamps we got with our intercooler kit where to big and would not tighten down all the way. So we replaced all them and pressure checked it again. The only place we could find air coming out of was out the fill cap as expected. We build 7 or 8 psi in the system with no signs of leeks. I then drove it around again and it seemed to be running a lot better. Was not running so rich it was putting the fire out. Now at mid throttle it runs from 10.5-11.5 at around 5-7 psi. At WOT though it still runs 10.0. Not to the point of putting out the fire but still too rich. I put the hammer down hard in first and the check engine line came on and it lost power. Checked the code and good old # 34 is back. The only other thing I have noticed is sometimes the car is a little slow to recognize the boost. The AF will stay high and it will studder for a second before heading towards 10. It almost seems like the computer is a little behind things some times.

So it is either one of two things. A boost leak that is hiding. Or the MAFs not working right. I would think that it would have to be a good sized leek to make it run that rich and I would think I would hear it.

Would a dirty AFM throw a code 34? How do you properly clean a vortex style AFM?

Craig