Supra mn

Oct 10, 2012
Jacksonville/Nebraska
1987 turbo 5-speed
Pretty much stock:
-Cone filter
-Upper hard pipe with knock off blow-off valve to atmosphere
-3 inch exhaust turbo back no cats
-12 gal fuel cell with external fuel pump and filter (probably an ebay kit)
All mods were done by the previous owner, I've just been fixing his mistakes.

A couple problems with my car at the moment:

The MAIN problem:
1) So after finally getting my car running and driving, I'm having some trouble with a code 31.
It idles fine, with a slight miss every so often. Pulls -18 vacuum at idle. Running very rich, just installed new plugs a couple weeks ago and they're already covered in carbon. (Barely ever drive it)

Every so often when I'm driving, the CEL will come on and stay on. The engine will run a little rough, then the CEL will turn off and all is back to normal. It has done this at an idle too, but only after driving it; It was a rough idle and eventually died. It had no power at all. No lights, no cranking. I removed the + cable off the battery and put it back on, and I got it to start.

When driving, I can accelerate fine, but once I hit a certain RPM, it's like I hit fuel cut. No CEL and no stored code from this. Tach doesn't work, so I'm not sure what RPM; but I'd guess roughly 4000 RPM. It happens whether I'm in vacuum or boost. Roughly -3 vacuum or +4 boost.

I just replaced the AFM around when I replaced the plugs. With the old afm, the idle would rev up and down and barely stay alive. If I tapped the gas, it would die. With this AFM I don't have those symptoms.
Checked it out with a multimeter:
THA-E2: good per TSRM (I think 1750 Ohms at roughly 75 degrees)
VC-E1: 4.99V
Then I tried to check frequency..
KS-E1: 23Hz, at first. After a second or two it jumped up to 35Hz, then 45, then 60,80,95,130,80.. Couldn't get a good reading. The most constant it stayed was 45Hz though.
I tested the KS wire for continuity and it checked out, but I ran a new wire anyways. No surprise, it didn't change much.

I'm guessing the RPM problem and the code 31 are related, and the ECU is in fail safe mode. That would explain the running rich situation too. Although I can go WOT and it'll accelerate until that certain RPM without a problem.
With the way the AFM frequency checked out, I guess it could be another faulty AFM though.

2) Tach doesn't work. All the wiring has continuity. Tach used to bounce when cranking, but the engine never started. Replaced the coil packs and igniter, car started but the tach stopped bouncing. Tried putting the old igniter on, didn't make a difference. Ordered a new tach, will try to replace it and see if that's the problem.

EDIT: Fixed the tach. I'm an idiot. When I had the original igniter, I re-pinned the tach wire to the blank spot next to it. When I switched igniters, I hadn't moved the harness side pin back. Swapped it back and it works fine.

A couple other problems I need to resolve, just not my highest priority.

3)Interior lights don't work. This includes: dome, footwells, glovebox, door open warning, courtesy, key ring, door key cylinder, rear hatch, cig lighter lights. The 20A Dome fuse is fine, I've tried multiple fuses and tested with a multimeter. I know the rear hatch, door key cylinder, courtesy, and door open warning lights used to work. The dome lights would work if I wiggled them. Now none of them work at all, possibly integration relay 1?
4)Weird bell-ringing noise from transmission. Metal on metal sound, increases with speed. Usually occurs at lower speeds and goes away at cruising speed. If I'm rolling with the clutch in, out of gear, and put pressure like I'm going to put it in gear, it goes away.

Last edited:

Supra mn

Oct 10, 2012
Jacksonville/Nebraska
I'll start looking for another AFM then. My engine bay was pretty dirty, so it wouldn't surprise me if the filter picked up some debris and messed with the sensor.
As much as they seem to be, I have a slight feeling the AFM and the rev issue are not linked. When I put the new AFM in, the engine ran fine for two weeks, but still had the rev issue. Just no codes, idle issues, etc.

Out of the 8 symptoms to put the car into fail-safe, the only things I can think my problem to be are:
-AFM
-Knock Sensor (Doesn't throw a code, but the rear one was originally in the middle hole. Moved it to where it should be for safe measure. Threads were shot, so I tapped the block.)
-Fuel pump/filter (Could be a lack of fuel pressure at a certain RPM, seeing as they're an unknown brand?)
-Spark Blow-out (Just pulled the plugs and re-gapped them to .27 yesterday, problem still exists. Wouldn't make sense for this to happen in vacuum, though.)

I forgot to mention, right before this problem I had a code 11. There were no symptoms to this, but I took the grounds off the intake manifold and cleaned the terminals, reinstalled and cleared the codes. Didn't come back. That's when the code 31 popped up, though, so I would assume the code 11 was just hiding it.
CPS and O2 sensor have been rewired by P/O, wiring checks out.
Engine timed correctly, 10*.
Just trying to think of little details that might give someone an idea as to what the problem is. AFM seems to be my biggest give-away at the moment, so I'll be replacing that and see what I can figure out.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
A code 31 is accompanied by a 3000 rpm fuel cut. Now, with no tach that is hard to verify, so that would be something to put on the list to check again when the tach is fixed. The wonky KS may just be your meter having a slow update rate, or it could be the AFM is junk.

However, the AFM theory does not explain the code 11 or the weird loss of power. All evidence suggests this car may have a butchered harness. Tach signal comes in on the engine harness and is transferred to the body harness at connector M1 near the ecu (black wire pin 4 on my car). I woul duse your meter and trace that from igniter to tach signal.

Not sure what to make of the loss of power. Strictly speaking, the engine will run with the battery disconnected, so cycling the battery connector shouldn't do much. I would focus on checking out the power distribution circuits. Start by confirming the grounds are good on the intake manifold, then move to the 12V side. Jiggle the harness and connectors looking for intermittent behavior.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TEWD/MK3/manual.aspx?S=Main&P=036

Supra mn

Oct 10, 2012
Jacksonville/Nebraska
3p141592654;2010877 said:
A code 31 is accompanied by a 3000 rpm fuel cut. Now, with no tach that is hard to verify, so that would be something to put on the list to check again when the tach is fixed. The wonky KS may just be your meter having a slow update rate, or it could be the AFM is junk.

However, the AFM theory does not explain the code 11 or the weird loss of power. All evidence suggests this car may have a butchered harness. Tach signal comes in on the engine harness and is transferred to the body harness at connector M1 near the ecu (black wire pin 4 on my car). I woul duse your meter and trace that from igniter to tach signal.

Not sure what to make of the loss of power. Strictly speaking, the engine will run with the battery disconnected, so cycling the battery connector shouldn't do much. I would focus on checking out the power distribution circuits. Start by confirming the grounds are good on the intake manifold, then move to the 12V side. Jiggle the harness and connectors looking for intermittent behavior.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TEWD/MK3/manual.aspx?S=Main&P=036

Definitely a butchered harness, but not too horrible. Pretty sure the P/O thought he was a master electrician by some of the things I've found, mainly on the body harness though.
The tach signal wire has continuity from the igniter to the ecu, ecu to IG at the diagnostics box, and from the ecu (or M1) to the connector for the tach on the back of the instrument cluster.

The code 11 is probably related to the grounds on the intake manifold, as a few days before I power washed my block to help find an oil leak. (I let it completely dry for a few days before even starting it again.) I'm guessing the water just corroded the ground wire terminals, and cleaning them cleared that problem.
Although code 11 is momentary loss of Power, not ground.. Could still be a problem, but it hasn't came back yet.

The loss of power only occurred once, and it was really strange. This happened after the code 11 was cleared, and it didn't show back up. Although since I removed the cable, it could have cleared the code and just not popped back up again.. Interesting. Guess I'll have to look into this.

Thanks for the info!

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
The tach signal (IG-) does not go to the ecu. It goes only between igniter, diagnostic box, and the tach itself. Maybe you meant M1 when you said ecu , but I'm presuming you know this anyway.

Any interruption in the power supply, be it ground or 12V side, will cause code 11 to be set. So if you had an issue with the intake grounds that would explain the code 11, but not the funny business with the battery cable.

Supra mn

Oct 10, 2012
Jacksonville/Nebraska
Well I finally got the tach working. Wasn't a faulty unit, but forgot to switch a couple wires back from when I re-pinned the igniter connector.

The idle is smooth, about 1500 rpm cold, and just a little high at 850 rpm warmed up.
Anyways, I did a couple quick pulls, and here are the rpms at which I hit this "cut-out:"
1st gear: 4500 rpm
2nd gear: 3000 rpm
3rd gear: 3000 rpm

I accelerated pretty slow in first gear, so that may have effected it. Signs still pointing to the AFM, which a new one should arrive tomorrow.

Supra mn

Oct 10, 2012
Jacksonville/Nebraska
A little update:
Finally found time to install the new AFM. No more code 31 as of the 45 minute drive I took, but the fuel-cut type problem still exists.
I noticed that when it happens, there's quite a lot of black smoke out of the exhaust.

Anyone should be able to figure that one out. Boost leak. Somewhat weird because boost holds steady at approx. 4 psi.
Anyways, I'm thinking it's the blow off valve opening at low boost and letting the air in the charge pipe escape, since it's vented to atmosphere.
I'll try adjusting the screw on top, but I have a feeling I might just need a new BOV.

Also, I noticed something with the AFM sensors. I bought a lexus sensor (42011) and it has a hole on the bottom of the stalk that goes into the housing, yet the stock sensor (42010) doesn't have that. I'm assuming it's just another port for measuring air, and everyone says the lexus sensor works. Just something weird I noticed, figured somebody might know something about it. I can post a picture if anyone's curious.