code 21

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Thanks. I have heard that from long time electrical guys. I once traced a broken wire as to why the car was not getting pulse, but spark, this way. It is actually easier than it sounds. ;)

Late

Feb 22, 2011
Appleton, WI
I will try this but I'm assuming it won't show a good ground seeing as when I use my test light to check the wire for o2-ecu groud it doesnt light up. Is the pin I'm looking for on the ecu labeled sensor ground and in the bottom corner, possibly e1? Currently don't have the pin out sheet next to me to check.

Thanks for all the help so far

Late

Feb 22, 2011
Appleton, WI
yes i have an 89, but after being confused multiple times from that diagram i thought that pin 10 was the power wire for the o2 sensor and not the ground, and pin 6 is the signal wire for the o2. does that mean +b and +B1 is power? i just got home and am going to check the wire shortly

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
If you follow the other wire (B-R) from the sensor to the previous page you'll see it goes through the main relay to the EFI fuse. That's the power wire. You should have 12 volts on it at the sensor. The other wire from the sensor (B-L) going to HT is the ECU supplied ground.

Btw if you're going to use that meter move the red lead from "10A MAX" to the other side because if you try to measure voltage with it as shown in the photo you're going to blow stuff up...

Last edited:

Late

Feb 22, 2011
Appleton, WI
is the ht line always supposed to have a good ground, or only when the car is warm? because i ran a new wire to it and it still doesnt have a good ground. ecu problem? i took it apart to look inside again and everything looks fine throughout the entire unit.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
The HT line can be controlled by the ECU, so it can be either grounded and open-circuit depending on what the ECU commands.

There is a 0.56ohm resistor in series with a transistor (usually called T713) that controls the heater current. The line ultimately grounds to pin E01. With ignition on, you should see around 0.5-1.0 V on the HT line if everything is working properly.

Late

Feb 22, 2011
Appleton, WI
3p141592654;1706773 said:
The HT line can be controlled by the ECU, so it can be either grounded and open-circuit depending on what the ECU commands.

There is a 0.56ohm resistor in series with a transistor (usually called T713) that controls the heater current. The line ultimately grounds to pin E01. With ignition on, you should see around 0.5-1.0 V on the HT line if everything is working properly.

wait. so it was working right when i first tested it and both heater wires lit up the test light showing power?

87Burg7mgte

May 4, 2011
Turlock, CA
did you ever find your problem here? i got the same issue going, but my code only activates when hitting higher speeds in the highway..(just replaced O2 sensor with a denso also)