code 21

Late

Feb 22, 2011
Appleton, WI
after i put my engine last week i started getting code 21, i looked it up and it says o2 sensor deterioration. so figuring because my o2 sensor was old i bought a new one (denso 234-3051) and it has the correct plug but the code is still there after i tried clearing codes by pulling efi fuse and then disconnecting battery when that didnt work. when i was changing the sensor the receiving end of the plug on the harness broke so i just have the pins but i do not think that would cause the code would it?

also, my air fuel ratio gauge works

Late

Feb 22, 2011
Appleton, WI
i just checked with a test light and both black wires have power, i do not have a volt meter at least i dont think i do

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Test light is easy. Put the battery clip on the ground, touch wire, if it lights, you have a positive.

Put battery clip on positive, touch wire, if it lights, you have a ground.

Late

Feb 22, 2011
Appleton, WI
yes i know how to use a test light lol, i thought you had asked me to test those wires, they are getting power to the pins and the blue wire has my air fuel ratio gauge attached and that works. im unsure why the code doesnt go away if everything appears to be working

Late

Feb 22, 2011
Appleton, WI
what would cause them both to have power then? im confused how that would happen, i didnt realize one was supposed to be ground

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Check your wires, maybe a broken on somewhere. How are you testing the wires? What terminal is the test light's clip on?

One should be negative, the other is positive. Check your wires. Are you getting those readings with the ignition on or off?

You should only get power there when your ignition is on...if you do with the key off, you have to look over your wires...

Late

Feb 22, 2011
Appleton, WI
i connect the test light to a hole in the engine bay for ground, while the o2 sensor is plugged in i touch both of the two black wires individually i get power on both, when i unplug the sensor only one of the wires has power, all while the ignition is on.

Last edited:

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
^I respect for this guy. He helped me to figure out why my 7M was not idling due to the turbulence against the AFM.

"Teach a man to fish so he can feed himself," was the line, right Jetjock?

Late

Feb 22, 2011
Appleton, WI
yes i know how to use a test light, i dont know what youre trying to say. im just trying to get help figuring out what is wrong with this because i dont understand why its happening.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
Turn off the ignition and see what you get.

Yes, you can just ground it to the body but I would fix it the correct way.....

Jetjock, I have seen many people on this forum who would rather starve.

Lucky I listened to you....I learned a lot about wiring. We have a shop and I was able to figure out a S10 that had a bad computer, checking OHMs and continuity before diagnosing that. Thanks man.

Late

Feb 22, 2011
Appleton, WI
with the ignition off i get no power on either one, im assuming thats how it is supposed to be. could the ground have just got pulled out of where it connects to the block (if thats where it does)?