Coated Pistons vs Forged Pistons

Fergie76

May 12, 2009
Hendersonville NC
Which would you choose ?
Npr pistons from driftmotion with the tops and shirts coated or probe forged pistons about 375 dollars both ways. Just a little less to have the pistons heat coated on the top and to have the skirts coated.

My Goals:
daily driver
300 to 325 hp
Long term durability
smooth acceleration

My Mods (underhood)
stock turbo 54 trim rebuild from driftmotion
3 inch bic downpipe
3 inch custom exhaust
custom air box
fully balanced rotating assy
gasket matched intake track
all intake castings smoothed

Last edited:

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
bone stock everything internally will hold up to your power goals. but id get the forged pistons cause you WILL want more power later. lol

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
On a good tune the NPR's are fine way past your goals. There are draw backs to forged if your don't actually need them...piston slap and such. If you are going for big power in the future then build it right and once but if it is just a daily that will never get more then an upgraded CT then go with the NPR's and spend the money elsewhere.

Just my 2 cents as I run the NPR's even though I have much higher goals...

Seth

Fergie76

May 12, 2009
Hendersonville NC
Thanks for the input guys but I guess the question that I am really asking is for my goals long term durability being the first of them would I be better off spending my money on stronger pistons that are not needed for my power goals but provide extra room to grow. Or buying the lesser piston and having them coated to lower combustion chamber temps and reducing friction/better oiling. I know that the probe pistons are better pistons but would be the extra 250+/-bucks be better spent on coatings and thermal coatings given my goals and why would choose this option?

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
I believe thermal coatings ate over kill for your power goals...300hp isn't really gonna cause too much heat! Now if you where doing a budget 500hp build then yeah I'd have them coated...the stock Toyota pistons gave you over 100,000 miles and they aren't coated! If the machinist is good and knows his shit the the probes shouldn't slap much if at all...if spend the money on good pistons instead of trying to polish a turd (coating NPR pistons)!

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
As many have said before already, if you're looking at both, get the forged. This leaves the option to later aim for more hp, and even if you don't, it's always nice to overbuild in terms of strength.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
slap = excessive piston to wall clearance.

theres a thread on the probes with specific machining and installation procedures.

shiftysupra

Nov 4, 2008
Tucson, AZ
go for the forged... you will want more hp... but make sure that you have your block bored and honed with a torque plate. if you use the search function you will find that npr's are OEM (if they are infact real). It would be pointless to spend the money on them and have them coated when you could leave your stock ones in. I am running 285hp daily with no problems on stock internals. they are good for up to around 500. the money you would save on beating the coating and just getting forged probes would pay for getting your rods weened or something of that sort...

I dont mean to jump on your case but it's sad when people ask for opinions and then fight with the people who are giving them...

boostin300

Jul 23, 2009
Las vegas
Fergie76;1371594 said:
Which would you choose ?
Npr pistons from driftmotion with the tops and shirts coated or probe forged pistons about 375 dollars both ways. Just a little less to have the pistons heat coated on the top and to have the skirts coated.

My Goals:
daily driver
300 to 325 hp
Long term durability
smooth acceleration

My Mods (underhood)
stock turbo 54 trim rebuild from driftmotion
3 inch bic downpipe
3 inch custom exhaust
custom air box
fully balanced rotating assy
gasket matched intake track
all intake castings smoothed

You could get a coated and forged piston?

Btw, the stock pistons should hold up fine to that kind of power. I would be more worried about the various bearings than the pistons.