clutch problems

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
South Shields, Tyne & Wear ENGLAND
My brothers supra has this issue going on where if the car is stationary the clutch pedal can be pressed and in most cases comes back up.

if the car is moving it seems to stick more often.

it apparently goes through patches of being like this and opperating normally for a while.

i was thinking clutch master cylinder. but now im not so sure

thing is ive got to drive this car approximately 200 miles this coming weekend.

any ideas as to what else it could be?

cheers

ps im 200 miles away from this car right now so its the best i can describe it

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Not being a smart ass Finnon, but have you checked the threads at the bottom of the page? One of them may have the same problem. I don't remember hearing about one that only had this problem while driving. Good luck.

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
ok having spoken to my brother on the phone. ive found out the clutch master cylinder is empty.

It is hard to work out a problem to describe on a forum if im nowhere near the car. its also hard to determine if a previously posted problem is the same if i cant see or feel it.

Ive told him to go check if there is fluid on the inside of the car that would indicate a failed master cylinder seal

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I would think it would have to leak out through a cut in the hose to leak under no pressure. Does he have someont that can help him bleed the slave cylinder? Maybe he can check it for leaks before you go pick it up.

Oct 12, 2006
Chicago, IL
Yeah, I had that same problem. My clutch pedal started to stick to the floor. I would look in the engine bay to see if it is leaking in there, if not, look inside the car, lift up the floor mat and look under there for yellowish stains or stains of any kind on the floor. Also look up where the pedal goes through the firewall to the master cylinder, that is where mine showed leaking. If not there, I don't know where it would be leaking from. But yes definately you need to bleed it if the pedal was sticking because that means there is air in the system and you need to get it out. Hope that helps.

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
ok cheers guys. anyone got a piccy of the slave cylinders location? so i can send it to my bro so he knows what he is looking for

edit: i just thought. the master is obviously gonna be on a different side on uk cars. is the slave cylinder still in the same place?

Oct 12, 2006
Chicago, IL
Finnon;1041485 said:
ok cheers guys. anyone got a piccy of the slave cylinders location? so i can send it to my bro so he knows what he is looking for

edit: i just thought. the master is obviously gonna be on a different side on uk cars. is the slave cylinder still in the same place?

I can't get a pic right now, but on an american car it is right infront of the dashboard, on the drivers side, on the engine bay side of the fire wall. It is by the brake master cylinder. It looks like a smaller brake master cylinder. So look there on your car. I will try to get pictures up soon. And the slave cylinder is down on the transmision, so the slave should still be in the same place, just on the opposite side of the american car.

Here is a link to different pages of this website. Its a total repair guide for supras, or something like that. Search around on it, it might help.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=CL&P=6

I will get some pictures up in a couple of hours.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I was thinking about the slave cylinder or release cylinder. It is mounted on the transmission and it's what pushes the fork in to release the clutch. It has a bleed off valve that you can bleed with a ten millimeter wrench. Very very easy if he has someone to pump the pedal. I'm sure you can bleed it from the master cylinder as well.

Oct 12, 2006
Chicago, IL
For the bleeding you have to do it from the slave cylinder or you wont get all the air out of the system. Bleeding it at the master cylinder will only get it out of the master cylinder part, I think...

Anyway, here are the pictures of the placement of the clutch master cylinder. And the back side of the cylinder is connected to the top of the clutch pedal up underneath the inside of the car at the firewall.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you can't open the pictures and what not.

Attachments

• 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 2
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 4

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
ahhhhhh now i know why i couldnt see it on your guys pics. on a uk car its rhd so the pedals go from the right hand side to the left accelerater, brake, clutch. so clutch is closest to the transmition tunnel. i never realised that lhd cars were the same way. i thought they would be opposite.

aslong as i know where the slave is ill be ok

edit: cheers quick red head. am i right in thinking you have ginger hair? i do aswell

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
just to confirm the bleed procedure. its not clear to me in the tsrm. is it

1) open bleed nipple, clutch down. then hold it, close bleed nipple. clutch up. open nipple, clutch down etc etc till the air is out

or 2) open bleed nipple, clutch down, clutch up, clutch down till no more air then close nipple.

the second is how i do brakes. same as everyone else i assume. is the clutch a diff procedure thouygh? never bleed a clutch before

Oct 12, 2006
Chicago, IL
Finnon;1043232 said:
just to confirm the bleed procedure. its not clear to me in the tsrm. is it

1) open bleed nipple, clutch down. then hold it, close bleed nipple. clutch up. open nipple, clutch down etc etc till the air is out

or 2) open bleed nipple, clutch down, clutch up, clutch down till no more air then close nipple.

the second is how i do brakes. same as everyone else i assume. is the clutch a diff procedure thouygh? never bleed a clutch before

Clutch is the same as the brakes. How ever you do the brakes, do the same for the clutch.

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
ok i bled it fine. the bite point seems real high. guess the clutch maybe a bit worn.

ill see what its like when i go back down for the car next week.

ohh i discovered how bad brake fluid tastes quite by accident aswell

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Finnon, it's eyes open, mouth shut when bleeding the clutch, not the other way around........:biglaugh: