Clutch problem

natedogr

Sep 12, 2006
Chatham, Va
I recently replaced my clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder. At first the free play in the pedal was pretty much zero. I adjusted it and all was fine for a little while. But then after a 15 minute drive te freeplay would be gone again, pedal real stiff and the clutch will slip when under a load. Ive tried adjusting the freeplay a couple more times but the result is always the same. It only does this on warm and hot days when its cool outside the pedal keeps its freeplay and the clutch doesnt slip. Any ideas on whats causing this? Im running a 7mgte with a w58 tranny by the way. I did put an upgraded clutch in when I swapped the motor. Iv. Never had any slipping problems before this. Thanks for any help.

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
What clutch is this? I would rebleed the master cylinder. Sounds like air in the system. Heres my trick..

Pump the pedal a few times. Release. Using a pry bar, push the slave cylinder in.

This will force fluid up throught the master cylinder and out the compensation port. It might take more than one try but there will be no air.

mjsn1

Oct 18, 2009
Qatif
take the slave cylinder off the trans while it is connected and push on the pen while another guy is pressing on the pedal.
most likely its from the slave cylinder.

natedogr

Sep 12, 2006
Chatham, Va
Thanks for the replies. I'll try these suggestions in class tomorrow. Having class in a shop with lifts pays off time and time again.

Edit: clutch is a Clutchmasters dual friction

natedogr

Sep 12, 2006
Chatham, Va
Just got back from class. I tried pushing the slave in when off of the car and it wouldn't budge at all. I also couldn't get a screwdriver or anything in there to pry it with it installed either. When I tried to put it back on I had to loosen the bleeder to be able to push the rod in enough to line the bolt holes. So it was a failed attempt ha. However, on the way home the pedal kept its freeplay and the clutch did not slip. And its in the 80s outside today here. So no clue whats going on. I still think something is wrong with the slave's rod. It extends out a lot more than the one I replaced. That has to be the problem.

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
Your linkage is to tight. It should be able to let the fluid come in and out of the compensation port with the pedal released.