clutch pedal mishap!

rocketguy13

Sep 5, 2006
dallas texas
ok i have a clutch pedal issue that has started today. i was racing a mustang at lunch today it was a roll race from 20mph. i was in first accelerated and when i went to second i didnt release the throttle just hit the clutch and shifted real quick like i usually do. but as i was coming back up with the pedal i felt it suck back to the floor. i was like crap my hydrolics just went out. but i pushed it in and it popped back up and i checked it and it felt fine. nice strong feel, good disengagement, like nothing ever happened. thought it was just some random thing. but it did it again when i was going home. i just came off of the highway and was at the light. decided slide around the corner. the light was green so as i came to the turn i was in second started to accelerate into the turn and snapped the clutch to get the car to slide out and as it was coming up it did the same thing. i slowed down and pressed it in again and it came back up and started working normal again. any ideas as to what is going on?

its a 2jz with r154 with stage 3 action clutch kit with stock 1j flywheel

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
WHAT?

So its working and then not working?

Some spelling and sentences and what exactly your problem is would be nice.

Supraflymk3

Supraman
Dec 17, 2005
Neenah, Wisconsin, United States
hvyman;1529516 said:
WHAT?

So its working and then not working?

Some spelling and sentences and what exactly your problem is would be nice.

It's not that hard to understand what the problem is. He said he shifts so obviously he clutched then he brought the clutch out and after he took his foot off the pedal went down by itself and popped back up.

As for a solution I would try to bleed the slave, maybe there is a little air in the line, but I don't know that sounds pretty fucked up.

rocketguy13

Sep 5, 2006
dallas texas
sorry its been a long day... the clutch i holding just fine. its just the pedal is dropping to the floor on its own. like it does if you have no fluid in the hydrolic system.

---------- Post added at 10:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:41 PM ----------

Supraflymk3;1529518 said:
It's not that hard to understand what the problem is. He said he shifts so obviously he clutched then he brought the clutch out and after he took his foot off the pedal went down by itself and popped back up.

As for a solution I would try to bleed the slave, maybe there is a little air in the line, but I don't know that sounds pretty fucked up.

yea its weird. it goes down on its own and stays down until i push it into the floor just a little more and it pops right back up like noting is wrong

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Supraflymk3;1529518 said:

No i think you did not read what it said. He was doing hard driving and then after a problem continued.
rocketguy13;1529520 said:
sorry its been a long day... the clutch i holding just fine. its just the pedal is dropping to the floor on its own. like it does if you have no fluid in the hydrolic system.

Yes you prolly should check your master and slave cylinder's as they might be going bad.

If you have a problem you should not continue to drive hard with that problem. You should get to you house and find out the problem and not continue to abuse it which will make things worse.

rocketguy13

Sep 5, 2006
dallas texas
hvyman;1529525 said:
No i think you did not read what it said. He was doing hard driving and then after a problem continued.

Yes you prolly should check your master and slave cylinder's as they might be going bad.

If you have a problem you should not continue to drive hard with that problem. You should get to you house and find out the problem and not continue to abuse it which will make things worse.

it only happens when i start to drive hard on it. and the master cylinder and slave have about 5k miles on them. i will bleed them tomorrow and see what that does

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Clutch break in is more/less a myth! Clutch isn't going to break just cause you didn't break it in....break in is just to make sure the pressure plate and flywheel bed in proper with the disk to get the best enguagement!...other than that the 500+ mile myth is a joke.

Supraflymk3

Supraman
Dec 17, 2005
Neenah, Wisconsin, United States
hvyman;1529525 said:

I wasn't being a dick about it, but regardless even if it was from hard driving or regular driving it still shouldn't happen. Ya know?

ben1984j

Jan 18, 2009
Ft. Collins, CO
^^You've got a point there. If it's just an issue with the hydraulic system, I can't understand how it would only happen when you "drive hard on it"...

I would take hvyman's advice though - when you have a clutch problem (and continue to drive the car), there's a lot more potential for causing major damage if you're beating on it...

Last edited:

rocketguy13

Sep 5, 2006
dallas texas
ben1984j;1529643 said:
^^You've got a point there. If it's just an issue with the hydraulic system, I can't understand how it would only happen when you "drive hard on it"...

I would take hvyman's advice though - when you have a clutch problem (and continue to drive the car), there's a lot more potential for causing major damage if you're beating on it...

most cases i would agree but i cant really see how a the hydraulics can really get any worse or make anything else go bad.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
gaboonviper85;1529611 said:
Clutch break in is more/less a myth! Clutch isn't going to break just cause you didn't break it in....break in is just to make sure the pressure plate and flywheel bed in proper with the disk to get the best enguagement!...other than that the 500+ mile myth is a joke.

http://www2.advancedclutch.com/technical/faqs.aspx

It depends on the clutch. 6 pucks dont but a full face is similar to the material on brake pads and brake pads should be broken in.

his is a stage 3 so it prolly doesnt in this case.

---------- Post added at 07:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:28 AM ----------

Wasn't implying that you were being a dick superflymk3.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
True unless it is not fully engaging or disengaging, Which could burn the clutch and could cause syncro problems.

rocketguy13

Sep 5, 2006
dallas texas
ok i checked for leaks on the system and found none so i went ahead and flushed the system out and reblead <----dunno if thats a word and headed home from work. i tested it again at the same spot and it did it again. the clutch is holding without slippage just fine so i was gonna rule out the throwout bearing hanging up on its hub, unless anyone thinks i should pull my tranny off and check something else.

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------

just to make things worse when i started my car this morning i heard a whirring sound so i drove it easy headed to work. and i noticed it would get louder on deccel. i was thinking it might be realated but i noticed i couldnt hear it when i pressed the clutch pedal. i checked it out at work and its just my timing belt tensioner pulley. i will switch it out tomorrow. maybe for some freak reason it will fix my clutch problem.

rocketguy13

Sep 5, 2006
dallas texas
i think your right. it only takes like 30 mins to get it off anyway.

i noticed last night when i was trying to get it to act up under different conditions that at 60 i put it in 3rd and released the clutch and let the car slow down just a little bit before i floored it. as i was accelerating i made sure my foot was away from the pedal and i watched the pedal just go to the floor on its own. this is so weird

rocketguy13

Sep 5, 2006
dallas texas
ok i figured out what it was! my flywheel bolts were backing out of the crankshaft. i guess the fact that it wasnt staying centered was making the clutch pedal do all that.