Clutch Masters FX850 Users with R154

Chrisco

Build in Progress
Jan 4, 2009
Downers Grove, IL
To anyone who is currently using, or plans to use, a Clutch Masters FX850 twin disc clutch on their 7M/R154, or any other Clutch Masters unit using the same push-type slave cylinder/release bearing assembly, you are or will become familiar with the lack of a retaining pin/stud to keep the slave assembly from being rotated upon engagement of the clutch. There are two inherent issues with this: one is that the slave cylinder hydraulic lines (feed and bleeder) may potentially become damaged over time due to the snap action of the slave cylinder during clutch engagement, causing them to rub on the bellhousing wherever you decide to route them; the other is that no ideal position of the slave cylinder is able to be maintained for bleeding purposes.To my knowledge, individuals who have run this clutch setup simply let the slave cylinder float freely without anything but the lines to keep it from rotating fully; something I'm personally not comfortable with.

To rectify the issue, I dropped my transmission and slave/release bearing assembly (with the billet spacer) off at a local machinist's and have given him instruction as to what I would like made. I'm going to have him fabricate a bracket/retaining pin that will bolt to the transmission in the location where the original clutch fork support
dlgateway.php
is located. The 'retaining pin' will be a long, unthreaded stud that the Clutch Masters slave cylinder will slide over (the slave has three ~3/8" holes in it, but they do not line up with anything on the transmission... likely a 'universal' unit), allowing it to move in and out, but not rotate.

Would any of you be interested in purchasing this little bracket if I had the machinist make more? I don't know what the cost would be like, but it shouldn't be much if I have him make it out of steel, rather than aluminum.

2jz88mk3

Dec 31, 2008
GVRA
Thanks!

I will be looking into this. Already RMA'd my FX850 once after the slave clylinder started leaking. They made me pay $500 too... :(

They returned it with extra seals so it could be rebuilt without sending it out next time. Not exactly the solution im looking for as they claimed theres no issue with the design.

I'll be re-installing it soon. Kinda glad its not back in yet now.

Chrisco

Build in Progress
Jan 4, 2009
Downers Grove, IL
Sorry guys, the Supra has had to be put on the back burner with a plethora of other 'life events' taking place. The clutch is fully installed, along with the bracket I described above. I forget if I took any pictures of it before install, but I'm real happy with how it turned out. Unfortunately, it'll still be a while before I get the car running to see how it all performs.