Clutch issue

Cravin Boost

MMMM Smells like coolant
Nov 8, 2005
Eugene OR
had a problem today thank god I was pulling into the house.

Preface the clutch has been making noise when U put it to the floor the last week or so. It was only making noise when it was all the way to the floor and the car was warm. if I didn't push it all the way in it was fine. today when Igot home went to shift into first to go around the culdisack to park and it went into first but the clutch went to the floor and is still there. My first thought is throwout bearing. what say you?

Txsupra

Professional Driver
Aug 23, 2008
Texas
Thats what generally happens when they go. Could be pressure plate fingers let go too. However the bearing is the problem I'm sure. Fact is, you're gonna have to replace the clutch set. Buy a "kit" and it will come with everything that could have gone out, for the most part.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
No offense to anybody here....but Im willing to bet all of you are very wrong!

I personally have never ever seen a failed throwout bearing and even so it would make such a racket you'd be scared to drive it.

1. Check clutch fork for bending or breaking
2. Check fluid level
3. Check inside for clutch fluid leaking into the cab
4. Check slave cylinder for leaks
5. Check clutch hose

replace as needed....infact replace all as it's cheap.

I'm 99% sure the bearing and pp have zero to do with this!

I've blown clutches in every manual vehicle I've owned...I'm gettin good at knowing what fails and what doesn't lol.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Txsupra;1393014 said:
Thats what generally happens when they go. Could be pressure plate fingers let go too. However the bearing is the problem I'm sure. Fact is, you're gonna have to replace the clutch set. Buy a "kit" and it will come with everything that could have gone out, for the most part.

No...plain and simple....there are so many damn fingers that a broken one wouldn't make the pedal sink....it just wouldn't disenguage and he wouldn't get into gear!

When a finger breaks you'll know it...the pedal won't be as firm but will still work...especially with the pull clutch that the gte uses.

kamikazemkiii

Mar 21, 2009
North Carolina
My buddies TOB went out and it wasnt loud it was more of a lower grinding sound but that was on a evo i dont think it stuck either

like gaboonviper85 said make sure u check everything tho

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
kamikazemkiii;1393765 said:
My buddies TOB went out and it wasnt loud it was more of a lower grinding sound but that was on a evo i dont think it stuck either

like gaboonviper85 said make sure u check everything tho

Yes they "go bad"....but it wouldn't cause this issue on a pull type clutch as there is a HUGE flange on the gte throwout bearing that will squeel like a stuck pig if the bearing seizes...

I'm willing to bet it's a blown master or slave cylinder, broken clutch fork, or broken clutch fork mounting bracket.

I could be wrong...very well could be...but I highly doubt it.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
And the noise he was hearing was probably cause the clutch disk was still getting drag from the pp causing the input shaft to still spin...have a feeling that when he was in gear with the clutch pushed in he wouldn't hear it anymore.

818Supra

Feb 12, 2008
Pacoima, CA
I just had the same problem today! I am having clutch fluid leak into the cabin where the clutch pedal is. I am guessing I have to replace the master cylinder? Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks!

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
818Supra;1393825 said:
I just had the same problem today! I am having clutch fluid leak into the cabin where the clutch pedal is. I am guessing I have to replace the master cylinder? Please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks!

Yes...but may as well replace master and slave as they both are old and get a new hose be it from driftmotion or Toyota...although the braided stainless hose from dm has cool factor.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
818Supra;1393838 said:
Thanks. I'm going to purchase the slave and master cylinder, and the clutch hose from dm.

Unless you're a very small dude...I recomend removing the drivers seat while installing the master...makes life much easier....figured I'd let you know that before you start the cursing lol!

818Supra

Feb 12, 2008
Pacoima, CA
Thanks for the tip! I've already tried peeking my big ass head under there to find out where it was originally leaking from, and I know its gonna be a pita! I'm just grateful it's not the clutch or anything of that nature.

xXslayrXx

Performance > Looks
Mar 25, 2008
Nawlins
818Supra;1393853 said:
Thanks for the tip! I've already tried peeking my big ass head under there to find out where it was originally leaking from, and I know its gonna be a pita! I'm just grateful it's not the clutch or anything of that nature.

I have the same problem as you right now, I've got fluid leaking in the cabin down the clutch pedal, I know, as all of you have said, it's the master cylinder for sure, but all of the master cylinders on driftmotion say its for 86.5 to 90 and I have a 91. Shouldn't make a difference though right?

Cravin Boost

MMMM Smells like coolant
Nov 8, 2005
Eugene OR
gaboonviper85;1393761 said:
No offense to anybody here....but Im willing to bet all of you are very wrong!

I personally have never ever seen a failed throwout bearing and even so it would make such a racket you'd be scared to drive it.

1. Check clutch fork for bending or breaking
2. Check fluid level
3. Check inside for clutch fluid leaking into the cab
4. Check slave cylinder for leaks
5. Check clutch hose

replace as needed....infact replace all as it's cheap.

I'm 99% sure the bearing and pp have zero to do with this!

I've blown clutches in every manual vehicle I've owned...I'm gettin good at knowing what fails and what doesn't lol.

Finely got out to get under the car and have a look. the 2 bolts that hold the the fork were Broken off. thank god they were loose enough that we could get the stubs out. new bolts and new slave) prolly could have used the old one) and its back on the road. Thanks for the Suggestions.