Clutch fan and aftermarket radiator combo

ihiryu

Jul 12, 2008
TX
For the 2jz guys, what clutch fan are you guys running with aftermarket radiator? I've heard the sc3 clutch and MKIV NA fan. And then I've heard LS400 clutch, and 7m fan.

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
Im running a TT clutch and N/A fan blade, slightly spaced out, with the rear of the blades trimmed to clear the water neck. Also running a Koyo radiator, with absolutely no clearance issues

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
Bigzavs;1397600 said:
Im running a TT clutch and N/A fan blade, slightly spaced out, with the rear of the blades trimmed to clear the water neck. Also running a Koyo radiator, with absolutely no clearance issues
thick koyo race radiator?factory shroud?

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
tsuper92;1397636 said:
thick koyo race radiator?factory shroud?

not sure on if its the race radiator, not sure what it is really, my friends fan tore it up, i fixed it after that. i had a factory shroud, but it was in bad shape, came loose and got torn up. i need to find a new one

edit: whichever one the radiator in the picture is, thats the one ive got

p1397715_1.jpg

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
bigzavs,seeing you have no shroud.maybe you could snap a pic of the clearance.
it look's like the thick koyo race on that car.i'd like to be able to run that radiator with the clutch fan set up

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
tsuper92;1398343 said:
bigzavs,seeing you have no shroud.maybe you could snap a pic of the clearance.
it look's like the thick koyo race on that car.i'd like to be able to run that radiator with the clutch fan set up

here ya go, Koyo Rad + GTE clutch + GE fan

p1399336_1.jpg

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
look's tight to the radiator hose.does the fan flex at high rpm's?i'm not familiar with the clutch fan set-up's on these car's.

thanks for that pic

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
it does look tight on the back, but each blade is notched

even revving it out, it flexes a lil, but completely clears front and back

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
The TT clutch and blade should work on stock rad setups. My car also has a Koyo Race rad and the fan hit and busted my rad. I now run the TT clutch and N/A blade which gives tons of clearence at the rad, but makes it really tight on the water neck, so I also like bigzavs trimmed each blade a bit to make more clearence at the water neck/ rad hose and spaced the blade on the clutch with washers for clearence. I have tried two LS400 clutch's with the 7M blade and it fits great because of the thinner blades that the 7m uses, but I had issues with both brand new clutches being fully locked up while driving. I think this is because the LS clutches are designed to run in reverse rotation. So in short the 2jz clutch and N/A or SC300 blade fits best with slight modifications. BTW the TT and N/A clutches are the same, the Toyota dealer confirmed this to me last week.

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Apr 21, 2005
Arlington, TX
with the n/a just shimmed out, it cleared at idle, but it would just barely touch once the motor got up over 5K, you could hear it hitting while making a pull, thats why i trimmed it. and now that i look at that picture, i need to repaint the blade

SuperNova

May 29, 2008
Grand Prairie, Texas
becauseican;1400621 said:
The TT clutch and blade should work on stock rad setups. My car also has a Koyo Race rad and the fan hit and busted my rad. I now run the TT clutch and N/A blade which gives tons of clearence at the rad, but makes it really tight on the water neck, so I also like bigzavs trimmed each blade a bit to make more clearence at the water neck/ rad hose and spaced the blade on the clutch with washers for clearence. I have tried two LS400 clutch's with the 7M blade and it fits great because of the thinner blades that the 7m uses, but I had issues with both brand new clutches being fully locked up while driving. I think this is because the LS clutches are designed to run in reverse rotation. So in short the 2jz clutch and N/A or SC300 blade fits best with slight modifications. BTW the TT and N/A clutches are the same, the Toyota dealer confirmed this to me last week.

So the LS400 clutch's will not work?

Glad I found this out before I bought one. LOL. Now I have a useless 7M blade if this is true.