Clunk in the trunk

cactus_mole

Jan 3, 2007
Santa Rosa, California
Well I have been noticing a noise in the rear of my car. A big clunk. It only happeneds when I let off the gas or give it gas. It's pretty loud, i think it might be the driveshaft because i can turn it about 2in back and forth...but i dont know for sure.

Also a new noise, it's a ticking. It only happeneds when i give it gas and gets louder as my rpms increase. When i put in the clutch or let of the gas it stops.

CFSapper

AKA Slient_sniper
Apr 24, 2006
Chilliwack
prob you drive shaft mine was doing that for a bit then my tranny broke so i dont know it it was the drive shaft or the tranny

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I hope your conscience EATS AT YOU and you can't BREATHE without me
See Slim; {*screaming*} Shut up bitch! I'm tryin to talk!
Hey Slim, that's my girlfriend screamin in the trunk
but I didn't slit her throat, I just tied her up, see I ain't like you ;)

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
hahaha omg IJ listens to eminem.

sounds like your Dshaft is too loose, auto or 5sp? dunno if it helps but my guess would be that its coming from where the shaft meets with the tranny.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Like others said check your drive shaft, carrier bearing. But you might take a quick look at the mount bolt for your shocks in the rear, sometimes they come loose and can make quite a racket.

cactus_mole

Jan 3, 2007
Santa Rosa, California
It's a 5spd. I checked the driveshaft and all the bolts and u-joints, everything checks out fine. The carrier bearing too, also fine.

With the car up in the air I can move the rear wheel(s) back and fourth (towards me and away from me) and rotate it a little bit also while in 1st. Dont know if that normal or not???

Checked the shock mounts there ok too....the guy I bought it from said that the rear end was slipping but I thought it was the driveshaft, but I dont know now:runaway:

Any ideas????

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
Yea, sounds like you have excessive play in the diff...my car makes the same noise, I have just learned to live with it. I also remember IJ saying something about bushings were the halfshafts meet the hub...that those can wear out and cause the clunking as well...

And the ticking sound when you push the clutch in sounds like a worn throw-out bearing.

cactus_mole

Jan 3, 2007
Santa Rosa, California
Well I drained my diff today and there was a little bit of metal shavings in there...

johnathan1 said:
Yea, sounds like you have excessive play in the diff...my car makes the same noise, I have just learned to live with it. I also remember IJ saying something about bushings were the halfshafts meet the hub...that those can wear out and cause the clunking as well...

And the ticking sound when you push the clutch in sounds like a worn throw-out bearing.

Well the ticking isn't when I push in the clutch, its when im driving around, and the ticking gets faster as my RPMs go up....I'll chech the bushings and see what they look like.

Any ideas???

cactus_mole

Jan 3, 2007
Santa Rosa, California
starscream5000 said:
At about what RPM does the ticking start to be noticable, or is it noticable right off of idle?

From when I push on the gas, and get louder as my RPMs go up....but I dont think its the engine at all.
Because, when im driving its ticking(only when im giving it gas), and when I push in the clutch it stops. Also when its in nutruel and i rev it a little...no ticking.

So in has to be in the drivetrain but I dont know what could cause it???

cactus_mole

Jan 3, 2007
Santa Rosa, California
Ric said:
When you put your car in gear, do you sometimes hear a big metallic clangg like a hammer on a metal pole?

Its only when I hit the gas on start off or if im crusing and let off the gas...thats when it makes the nosie your taking about.....pretty much every time I push on the gas or let off on it it makes it.

Ric

Setting the standard
Feb 22, 2007
Central Florida
www.1jzgte.us
The hammer on a pole noise?

U-joint almost 99% sure. Thats the noise my car makes, also with a noticeable viabration at speeds over 55. You can take my driveshaft and shake it lol.. I hope it lasts another few days til i get my replacement!