Clunk and Ping Noise

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
So I searched extensively for a situation that somewhat closely resembled mine and nothing, bringing me here

1JZ
R-154
Single Piece Aluminum Driveshaft

So ever since i bought this certain car, there has always been a weird noise. The noise can be best described as a loud clunk and ping together when letting the clutch out and applying throttle. The car does not always make this noise, but when it does its loud enough to hear outside of the car. This is a seperate issue but as i feel they may be related i will throw this out as well. Say im in third gear cruising and i let off the gas pedal, when i get back into it a very very small amount maybe 1/16 of an inch, i hear a whine, any more, and the whine completely goes away. I was told by the previous owner of the driveshaft, that it has a tendency to whine, so i assumed (bad i know) that the noise was from the normal operation of the driveshaft.

Things that I have checked
Bushings- was told sometimes they can make a clunk or ping noise when going out, saw no cracks or issued but will be putting all of my energy ones on
Driveshaft U-joints- Fine no play move freely and are greased properly
Wheel bearings-passenger side was fine, a wobble noise had previously caused me to replace the driver side, went in and checked play again, none at all, checked the nuts to see if they had backed out at all against the cotter pin, nothing.

Things on the list
Rear end drain and replace with new fluid ( check for unusual amount of metal shavings)

Any other things i am missing and/or should check.
I have a whole new clutch to throw in along with rear main, bearings, and all new ARP hardware and would really like to get the issue solved before hand. Thanks in advance for all comments. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
Trans seems fine all the gears move in and out freely, well besides second sometimes and reverse but they are bastards on every r154 ive driven. When i do the clutch ill pull the trnny out and check everything out. thanks for the info guys

AnubisMK3

Jul 31, 2012
Milwaukee
Check your front sway bar links and bushings, if the bushing is bad the sway bar will slam when taking off hitting the metal collar, same with the end links, although flexible it is possible the sway bar is only under enough pressure under take off

mikejza70

Nov 3, 2012
mn
I had the same issue a couple times and it was the cv joints. I went out drifting (lots of clutch kicking with a stage 4, 6 puck clutch) and after I started to notice a clunk in the rear somewhere. I replaced the cv axles, went drifting again and same result. Whent out again with new ones and same thing. I will be replacing them again soon.