Climate control modules between model years

AFQC

What was that noise?
Mar 30, 2008
Vancouver WA
The climate control module on my 87 lost it's low fan switch and the button faces are all chewed up and wrinkled. If I swap out to a newer years eg 1990 module is it still plug and play?

plaaya69

87T Supra
Nov 18, 2006
Lake County, IL
Yes it is plug in play and works like it should. I have a 91 climate controller in my 87. The only feature that does not work is the front windshield defrost and floor vent combo button as the 86.5-88 models did not offer that.

reklund5

Nov 3, 2007
Henderson, NV
A failed low speed fan setting may be just a blower motor resistor ($30 or so part from the dealer). Don’t assume your control panel is bad just because of that.

AFQC

What was that noise?
Mar 30, 2008
Vancouver WA
Can confirm that it wasn't the control unit, once I swapped the units the fan still didn't work. In fact last weekend I lost all fan control. Time to dig into that. At least the new one isn't all torn up from wear and exposure.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Its just the blower resistor.
Cheap fix.

There are 3 small coils of different gauge wire inside that vary the resistance on the fan, resulting in different speeds.
The wires corrode and crack overtime.
Its an easy $30 fix.

RU90_FULL.JPG

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Its literally one screw, and one electrical plug, and no panels have to be removed.
It may be the easiest fix you'll ever do to a Supra.

AFQC

What was that noise?
Mar 30, 2008
Vancouver WA
Got the blower resistor installed, fired it up and nothing. Reset the 30 circuit breaker in the pax footwell next to the AC fuse and all is well.