Supraeazy

Jun 24, 2013
Minnesota
Okay guys this ones been a real headache. So a little background I have a 90 automatic targa turbo. Only mods I have done are 3in turbo-back exhaust(eBay) and a greddy inter-cooler with 3in custom piping (eBay).

So i've had the car for about two years now and ever since i've had it the climate control has worked BUT not very well. On the unit the HI button would always flicker and usually stay off, also a lot of the buttons on the bottom row to select where the air goes stopped clicking so they wouldn't stay in. And to add to all that the heat would seem to work only when it wanted to.

(Heres where I think all my problems started) So about three months ago during the summer I was in my girlfriends driveway dropping her off and I was about to shut my car off so I wouldnt wake her parents up but right as the engine was dying she told me to keep it running. So then thinking that the engine would be dead before I turned the key I tried to start it again and then nothing happened at all. I'm not sure if I messed it up somehow trying to start it while the engine was almost dying or what. And yes I know dumb move on my part but I really did think the engine was off. So then my alarm started to go off randomly and that was an absolute nightmare so I just popped the hood in a quick panic a took of the positive battery cable and called it a night. Yes I left my Supra in my girlfriends driveway overnight. I came over to her house in the morning and just thought I would maybe jump start it and it popped right off and I drove it home. It was then that I realized my battery would start dying over night. It became so bad I had to take my battery cable off every night before I parked it. Also at this time I do believe my climate control head stopped working completely, all it would do was make the gauges work and let the transmission shift when plugged in.

So after enough of this I figured that I would take my battery to walmart to get tested being that they have free 3 year replacement on batteries. It tested out bad and I took a new battery home and put it in the soup and it worked great. It wasn't until after my NEW battery started going dead that I realized I might have a parasitic draw.

Fast forward to a month ago and I figured I would bring the soup into the shop at my college. (I am in the Automotive Service Technician program there so we can work on our own cars with all the schools resources) I hooked up a parasitic load tester and found that when I unplugged my climate control unit the amperage went down to normal levels (about 20 Milliamps or so). So then figuring that the unit was internally shorted or something I ordered a used one off eBay. Probably not a smart move. Anyway I went to plug this new one in and nothing, not a single thing. Skip forward to today I sent that eBay one back and picked one up off the forums from a member called tubbie. I go to plug in the one from him and nothing again. I can now say I'm brutally stumped. TWO new ones supposedly in working order and none work.

I'm almost positive it isn't a wiring issue because I get 12 volts from the plug in PLUS my old one still makes the gauges and everything else work, just no adjustment or heat or anything like that. So now I ask are any of you guys able to provide any insight on this? Thanks.