Clifford alarm + remote start troubleshooting

seoul4korea

Nov 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
www.supraforums.com
So I have a clifford avantgaurd 5 and remote start. The issue I'm having is the remote start....

Here's what I have right now atm...

1. The sensors all work (the door triggers may need to be replaced as they don't always read that the door is open)
2. The brake wiring is correct, while in safestart mode the brake will shutdown the car correctly.
3. The clutch has been bypassed and works (Not an issue as I have a turbo timer and harness and I never leave my car in gear)
4. The E-brake is wired correctly as it will allow the car to enter safestart and once in safe start if the ebrake is put down it will turn off the ignition preventing safestart mode.
5. I've programmed the RPM function and checked the setting for normal gas engines

So here's what we have now, the car starts (But doesn't remote start) and arms/disarms correctly. I get a normal 2 chirp arm meaning all zones are armed and it chirps once when the arm is disarmed without any zone issues (Meaning the alarming going off).

I can get the car into safestart mode up to the point where I get out of the car to hit the arm button to start the car in shutdown mode and the car just stays running with out trying to complete safestart mode. I've even tried getting into safestart, removing the key, messing with the door trigger to show the door is open and the dome lights come on, depress the door trigger to show that the door is closed and then hit the * button for 1 second to remote start the car.

I do plan on getting door triggers asap to try and rule this issue out. Does anyone have ANY kind of advice as to how to further solve this remote starting issue?

Last edited:

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Your wording is confusing.

Let me try to clarify:

1. Arms and disarms correctly and car starts as normal.
2. When you try to do the manual transmission remote start shutdown procedure, the car will not turn off when you arm it. Correct?

When doing this shutdown procedure, does the car arm? Does it respond at all to you arming it? If the procedure is like mine, you have to step on the brake, pull the e-brake, then let go of the regular brake; hit remote start on the remote, take out keys, get out, shut the door, then arm the system. Is this the same for yours? If so you need to check all those signals and make sure you have them wired correctly.

Is it a 2-way remote? do you get any feedback on the remote?

I have a viper 5701 (same company, DEI) and had a HELL of a time getting it to work correctly at first. I had grounding/power issues. Once I re-did all my power and grounds all my strange problems went away.

These alarm systems are incredibly robust from what I'm told and VERY, VERY rarely are the units ever "bad". It's gotta be something in your wiring.

seoul4korea

Nov 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
www.supraforums.com
suprarx7nut;1832523 said:
Your wording is confusing.

Let me try to clarify:

1. Arms and disarms correctly and car starts as normal.
2. When you try to do the manual transmission remote start shutdown procedure, the car will not turn off when you arm it. Correct?

When doing this shutdown procedure, does the car arm? Does it respond at all to you arming it? If the procedure is like mine, you have to step on the brake, pull the e-brake, then let go of the regular brake; hit remote start on the remote, take out keys, get out, shut the door, then arm the system. Is this the same for yours? If so you need to check all those signals and make sure you have them wired correctly.

Is it a 2-way remote? do you get any feedback on the remote?

I have a viper 5701 (same company, DEI) and had a HELL of a time getting it to work correctly at first. I had grounding/power issues. Once I re-did all my power and grounds all my strange problems went away.

These alarm systems are incredibly robust from what I'm told and VERY, VERY rarely are the units ever "bad". It's gotta be something in your wiring.

You are correct about my wording, the safe start is the exact way as you stated as well which is exactly what I try and do.

I get as far as getting out of the car to shut it down/arm the system. When the car is running and I step out and hit the arm button nothing happens and the car continues to idle, I see the light on the remote blink but nothing comes of it. The remotes are not two way the most you get is a blinking light at the top as well.

The biggest issues is that it won't arm and shut down the car, I went through and checked my wiring but I'll have another look at it again. The system arms correctly once the power is off to the car so i'm wondering if that has something to do with it.