Clear markers: Are they all equal?

iruyle

Jul 17, 2012
lawrenceville, ga
Is there a brand/type to seek or likewise to avoid? I know they are relatively cheap and very easy to find but I still dont want to end up with $100 worth of junk on a shelf if there's a different one I should go for instead.
Thanks!

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Front signals, or side markers? Either way I love my rear clear eBay markers. I wish they were frosted instead of diamond cut, but they look great on my white car with red LEDs. OEM Euro front signals FTW.

iruyle

Jul 17, 2012
lawrenceville, ga
RazoE;1878427 said:
Front signals, or side markers? Either way I love my rear clear eBay markers. I wish they were frosted instead of diamond cut, but they look great on my white car with red LEDs. OEM Euro front signals FTW.

Signals and markers, the whole shlameel.

Slayr504

Aug 16, 2012
Murica
iruyle;1878439 said:
Signals and markers, the whole shlameel.

I would go with cheap ebay ones. They all pretty much look the same and no one will really be able to tell the difference. Plus, if they're cheap and break, they won't be expensive to replace. Just my $.02

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
They also look good with LEDs in the parking lights. I have signal covers, but the white LEDs in my parking lights shine through perfectly and look menacing.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Slayr504

Aug 16, 2012
Murica
RazoE;1878495 said:
They also look good with LEDs in the parking lights. I have signal covers, but the white LEDs in my parking lights shine through perfectly and look menacing.

Menacing indeed! I like.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
The fronts? When putting together my clear front markers, I hit the plastic with a butter knife and then scraped off the remenants and clear-siliconed on the new lens.

Slayr504

Aug 16, 2012
Murica
RedPhoenix;1879458 said:
Can you easily take these apart or are they epoxied together (lens to housing?)
If they are held with epoxy you should be able to melt it (the epoxy) with a hair dryer or heat gun and apply a little pressure and they should pop open. That's pretty much how we did it when I worked for Oracle doing headlights and whatnot.

RedPhoenix

Kill it with fire!
Sep 23, 2009
Tampa, FL
A thermoplastic can dissolved or melted, while a thermoset cures and changes its structure. Once cured, it forms a tough ,cross hatched structure which resists solvents and will degrade instead of melting. Epoxy is a thermoset.

Most headlights use a thermoplastic but I had Depo lenses for another car and they were epoxied on... best bet was flash freeze it and it destroys the crystalline structure of the bond. I want to do a full LED board for my lights, this is why I ask.

Slayr504

Aug 16, 2012
Murica
RedPhoenix;1879847 said:
A thermoplastic can dissolved or melted, while a thermoset cures and changes its structure. Once cured, it forms a tough ,cross hatched structure which resists solvents and will degrade instead of melting. Epoxy is a thermoset.

Most headlights use a thermoplastic but I had Depo lenses for another car and they were epoxied on... best bet was flash freeze it and it destroys the crystalline structure of the bond. I want to do a full LED board for my lights, this is why I ask.
Well, I just got a little schooled. Thanks for the info. Didn't know exactly what the shit was called, I just knew how to get it apart lol Good luck on the LEDs. That shit will look sickkk

RedPhoenix

Kill it with fire!
Sep 23, 2009
Tampa, FL
Slayr504;1879949 said:
Well, I just got a little schooled. Thanks for the info. Didn't know exactly what the shit was called, I just knew how to get it apart lol Good luck on the LEDs. That shit will look sickkk

haha, no problem. Yeah I need to get on it, but so many other projects and this does not help my 1uzfte run. :)

Slayr504

Aug 16, 2012
Murica
RedPhoenix;1880112 said:
haha, no problem. Yeah I need to get on it, but so many other projects and this does not help my 1uzfte run. :)
I understand that. Turbo 1UZ sounds sick. I look forward to the build thread, unless it's on here and I've overlooked it