Clank Noise Detailed Diagnosis

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
Here's a video of the noise!

[video=youtube;bJNJOIcOKLo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJNJOIcOKLo[/video]

It was a hot drive home so i was able to duplicate it parked. Couple hours later when it cooled down, wasn't able to do it much.

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
How about taking a look at the brake system?

Today i had it in the shop and was could only duplicate the clank by forward to a stop and reverse to a stop motions. We noticed the brake pads shifting when the weight of the car shifted and possibly making the clank.

Took the LF caliper apart and rebent the retaining clips to have a better fit. We also we installed some shims near where the pad rides to tighten it up. After this, the clank from the stop motions seemed to be gone.

Took it on a long road test on the highway and then through some town. Stopped somewhere in town. No clanks so far. Back to the car, parking lot maneuvers, seems to be OK, and then one clank. On the way back to the shop i was getting more and more clanks. By the time i got back to the shop it was clanking bad again.

I'm thinking since the car warmed up good and this clank is very hot temperature dependent, the temporary shimming is longer a good enough solution for the temperature increases.
It seemed this brake clip alternation did some good isolation so i'm gonna look into this now.

I'm going to toyota tommorrow and ordering all new brake retaining clips, antirattle springs, and pad shims

Then we take it from there.

bassjunkiens5

Nov 25, 2008
Tenn
What about the bushing for the shock/spring mount inside the fender? I noticed when you were turning the wheel the car would rise and fall. You also said that sometimes you can push down on it and hear the noise. If it's the vertical movement causing it then I would think it's suspension related. It was one of the first things in my mind actually, that or ball joint.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Good point.
And I agree that the brake shims/ springs can be the culprit too, but I think it may be a second source of noise, no the only one.

Heavy D

Jun 3, 2009
worcester, ma
im guessing the rack, or maybe what you said about the clips. but when the car just sits and when you let it warm up, will it do it? or when you drive the car and stop to turn, is that when it makes that noise? if you dont drive the car and let it warm up then i think its the rack, power steering fluid gets hot and the fluid expands, so when the racks gets hot or warm, may be thats when it will make the noise

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
bassjunkiens5;1581637 said:
What about the bushing for the shock/spring mount inside the fender? I noticed when you were turning the wheel the car would rise and fall. You also said that sometimes you can push down on it and hear the noise. If it's the vertical movement causing it then I would think it's suspension related. It was one of the first things in my mind actually, that or ball joint.

it's not necessarily verticle movement. sometimes i get lucky jouncing the LF fender.

supraguy@aol;1581703 said:
Good point.
And I agree that the brake shims/ springs can be the culprit too, but I think it may be a second source of noise, no the only one.
When i put the temporary pad shims in, the clank was gone for a while but i heard something else faint going on there, yes i agree. The only thing that doesn't make sense to me about the brakes is getting the clank under steering.

Heavy D;1581786 said:
im guessing the rack, or maybe what you said about the clips. but when the car just sits and when you let it warm up, will it do it? or when you drive the car and stop to turn, is that when it makes that noise? if you dont drive the car and let it warm up then i think its the rack, power steering fluid gets hot and the fluid expands, so when the racks gets hot or warm, may be thats when it will make the noise

You must drive the car and warm it up and then stop.
How would you figure a steering rack would make this kind of noise?

i ordered all new pad retainer clips, pad shims, and antirattle springs all from toyota.
i also ordered kit with lower balljoints inner and outer tierods because it was inexpensive and in future plans anyway.

thedave925

Since 9/16/05
Nov 9, 2005
East Bay, Cali
Do you experience a slight shake felt throught the steering wheel at speeds in excess of ~60mph?
I'm not sure if thats related but can't hurt to ask :)

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
it's interesting you ask this question. i wanted to wait until i did my work on the brakes before answering your question. On top of these noises I realized that my front brakes starting dragging after about 15-20 minutes of driving. When i would get up to ~60mph, the dragging brakes would make a hell of a pulsation. The other day i installed new rebullt calipers and OEM retainers, shims, and antirattle springs..as well as scuffing up the rotors (brembo blanks with about 15k on em) and pads. My braking issue is resolved, highway speed vibration is minimal and my front end noises seem to be much reduced. It does appear that i did have brake pad movement causing some noise, but I am still not 100% clank free. I still havent gotten a chance to install the lower balljoints and inner and outer tierods, but i leaning to believe the lower ball joints are the cause of my clank.

Scott 88-1JZ

Dec 9, 2007
California
Did you ever figure out your clanking noise? I am trying to track down the same exact noise. Based on your video I think I have the same problem. I have new ball joints, new steering rack (old bushings, thinking I should have replaced these), new bushings, new tie rods inner and outer, and switched to the Doward kit with cobra calipers and rotors.