Chrome wheels

The1

Too poor to be here..:(
May 24, 2007
Austin, TX
What is the quickest, cheapest way to remove chrome from wheels?? I found some cheap NA wheels but they are chrome and I just wanted to paint em. :icon_bigg

The1

May 24, 2007
Austin, TX
But I've been google searching for the past 45 minutes and they say that it is real iffy. I don't think it's any platers in Montgomery. I will just have to try that, but whats the best way to get em good and scuffed.

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Jun 26, 2006
Fredericksburg, VA
You could maybe media blast them? Not sure if that will work though....

But, get some 220grit or maybe lower to scuff them.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Sand them with 220. They should be very dull, without any shiny spots left. Spray them with a self etching primer. Use a couple of coats, let it dry, then sand it smooth with 400 grit. Then spray on the color of your choice(multiple coats again), sand smooth with 400 or finer, clear(multiple coats), sand with 1000 grit, and buff for a high gloss, very smooth finish.

Either that, or get them powder coated. Most powder coaters media blast the surface, acid wash it, then apply the powder. Fairly simple process, cost effective(shouldn't be more than $50 a rim, maybe?),A lot of colors, including metal flakes, available, excellent finish quality, and will out last spray paint by many, many years. A good powder coater can do 2 or more colors, as well, but it gets more expensive...

The1

May 24, 2007
Austin, TX
lol
The only reason I'm getting chrome is because the guy is selling them so cheap. I'm just not the biggest fan of chrome wheels..*unless they are some 14" Dayton's on a 64 Chevy Impala*..:dunno:

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
you might wanna do 2000 grit on the wet sanding between clear coats. then buff using 3m polish.

i did a 3 coat 202 black with 3 clear coats and 2000 grit wet sand in between clear coats. finished off with a buffer and 3m polish. turned out perfect.

ed.d.

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
ok....what about oven cleaner?

In the R/C world it's what people have used to remove chrome from plastic rims...and i think it would probably work on any chrome.

Just as long as it won't damage the rim underneath and i would do this with the tire off the rim so you dont risk damaging the sidewalls.

make sure its a good idea first i'm just throwing the idea out there. and be careful on plastic center caps.

as for scuffing...that would be difficult compared to just washing the chrome off. hopefully a solvent can strip the chrome and he'll have a nice painting surface? if you have to prepare with scuffing the surface anyway and the oven cleaner method isn't practical just scuff i guess. :)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Chrome is applied to protect the surface, and is quite tough...

Personally, I'd leave the chrome, they're nice and low maintenance...