Chinabay HKS knockoff SSQV users...question (now with vid)

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
Given the endless issues with the authentic HKS SSQV's and my refusal to do buy another, I decided to try a knock-off. I purchased a 3rd gen replica just to try however I'm not sure if what I'm hearing is straight compessor surge or just a different sound of the knock offs. Authentic ones have a very loud squeal with flutter while this sounds more like a tial or just surge. Not sure which, any input would be nice or video even. Thanks.

edit, yes I know how the insert may affect noise. I do have the insert installed. Also, I have doubts its all surge because on many attempts i've spooled and did not leave my foot off the gas much, but just enough to cause it to blow off yet I get the same sound.

It sounds like it kind of works just not sure.

[video=youtube;koJcmYX6N2E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koJcmYX6N2E[/video]

Last edited:

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
ive noticed the spring in the knock off is much more firm than the HKS. I'm going to try swapping springs (from a back up) and see if that changes anything. In the mean time im back to the other HKS SSQV for now.

346fc3s

Aug 20, 2010
Benbrook, TX
Try taking the insert out of it and see how it sounds then. That sounds almost exactly like my actual HKS did when I had the quietest insert in it.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
I had the HKS SSQV and it never leaked for me. Use a good O-Ring on the flange with a little grease to keep it soft and ran it up to 14 PSI on T4 67MM with a .70 A/R on a 7M and it did not leak at all.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
^How do you know....did you stick your hand in front of the pistons seal while you were driving under full boost? Doubt it. I would bet 20 bucks (if i had it) you could pull that hks off and literally blow through it. What a great quality seal it isn't.

It astonishes me how so few people are experiencing this, my guess is no one checks! They just assume since boost isn't dropping significantly it doesn't leak, or if you have an ebc it won't really drop much you will just work the turbo harder.

After thoroughly looking at how the hks seals I would estimate most users are leaking and don't even realize it.

Last edited:

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
My Blitz EBC, shows the current reading of vacuum or boost, pretty accurate too. Plan and simple, mine has not leaked and my datalogging through my standalone on my 2JZ, Microtech ECU, shows that as well and my Defi gauges too.

Just my findings. If you have one that leaks, don't go to EBay, get another brand. Tail are good blow off valves too.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
My boost stays constant too, like i mentioned before, your EBC will just make your turbo work harder to maintain the boost. I am aware of going, with a different brand, but its not all that simple or cheap with my setup. The real point here is to inform people of HKS ssqv and its failures. Maybe people should be testing them properly and either prove me wrong or confirm my findings instead of just saying 'oh mine works'.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Actually, I've heard of a lot of problems with HKS units - compressor surge being the worst, especially under low boost, and leaking being another. I recall watching a video where some fellow had mounted streamers on his, then stuck a camera under the hood and taken some video to prove his theory of leakage. The one that I had was a constant PITA when it came to compressor surge at low boost. It would work perfectly as long as I was over 14-15psi when I let off, but if I only took it up to 7 or so, it would surge every time.

Now I have a Tial. It's so much better, it's not even playing in the same ballpark. The Tial will vent when I'm not up to positive boost off the turbo yet, and even so, won't leak at all, at least not up to 24psi, which is the highest I've gone so far.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
The problem is grim that everyone thinks, oh my boost isn't tailing off and its giving me a loud noise when I shift so it MUST be working. The HKS has problems all around, i just want it to be either proven (like with my 3 samples) or disproven, no one will take the time to test anything. Its their own problem I guess, have fun wasting 200+installation costs on a product that doesn't hardly work! yes I know I need to switch, money will not allow me right now so im trying to find a solution to the issue. I think I have found one but once its tested and functional I will then let people know what to do. What I do know is that the HKS SSQV fails in all categories except high boost with the 3 I have to test (2 authentic).