check valve seals with head removed and assembled

snyder250

May 5, 2009
california
i thought i had bad valve seals but now im not sure if its the turbo or seals,is there a way to check valve seals with head removed but with out taking it a part?

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
I suppose you could fill the upper portion of the head with oil and install the camshafts, let the head sit, and see if any oil leaks through...

Otherwise, the seals are $20 and the keeper removal tool is $35...it might be easiest just to replace. Plus, the newer Viton seals apparently last quite a bit longer than the stockers.

snyder250

May 5, 2009
california
ill try the oil trick,the car started smoking and leaking oil after a rebuild(700 miles on motor).(bad mecanic)i took the head off to check the head gasket,it was ok.after removing the turbo i see a bit of shaft play.i could probaly sqweze a busness card between housing and comressor wheel. very very little in and out play.but when moving compressor wheel i can hear liquid soungd in turbo.oil i assume. does that sound like to much.im afraid i might have starved turbo for oil due to the bad leaking.turbo was rebuilt at same time

snyder250

May 5, 2009
california
well i tryed the oil trick i didnt losse any oil so ima reinstall the head.ima take the turbo to the place that rebuilt it down the road.(performance techniques) and have them look at the turbo.thanx for the input adam. PS...if the turbo is bad i wana upgrade it.that trim should i get?i dont wana buy a piggy back or anything.ima run the car preety much stock,any ideas or just go stock agian.