Check out this sub....

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/product/details/0,,2076_310069927_297394781,00.html

Very shallow mounting depth (only 3-1/4" deep), you could make a false floor a few inches more then that, custom fiberglass bottom to get all the air space from the spare tire well, and still mount like 3 of these across and have clearance for your targa roof as well.

They have a 10" version as well that's only 2-7/8" deep:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/v3/pg/product/details/0,,2076_310069927_297394781,00.html

And of course since it's Pioneer they won't cost a fortune and seem like decent quality subs.

I think I'll be getting 3 x 10" or 2 x 12", not sure yet... probably 2x12's..... and I'll make a nice carpetted pad I can roll over the entire false floor with my amplifiers, etc all flush... to conceal everything and prevent theft.

87CandyBlueT

Banned
Feb 8, 2006
Kentucky (NKY)
Wow, those subs are Shallow-Mount alright. 350watts. Let me know if you get them and think of them. I eliminated the idea of a system in my supra, awhile ago because of space saving issues and no targa storage. Thanks for posting these.

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
i think i will put 2x12s... and i will probably put them as forward up the hatch as possible because i've had previous systems both with subs facing the rear or with subs facing up very close to the rear and it rattled the hell out of all those panels in the back and the licence plate, etc... so the more you can get it forward the better off you are.

my box will probably be something like this.... forgive my crude sketch but you can see what i'll probably do...

hatch_layout.jpg

basically the cross-section shows how i'm going to build the box depth-wise so the subs are as forward as possible and still use the airspace of the tire-well.

and with an overall height there of around 6" or maybe 7" or whatever fits under the targa clips I think it will be OK. then I'll have it drop off in depth for all the components and a little compartment area too, hidden under the false floor.

but it will have to wait till november or so because my supra budget for the next few months has been exceeded! (just bought a jawsgear differential and
AL 1pc driveshaft) :) i won't be getting them thought for at least 2-3 months though but i'll keep you guys posted ;)

Last edited:

bowsercake

Aug 24, 2005
Irvine, Ca
looks cool. I was looking at the super shallow 8" to save space but now I think I might go for the Bazooka bass tube because I want bass but my speakers aren't that great and I don't need quality sounding equipment. I think it would fit well behind the rear seats.