check engine light ??

Evans

May 6, 2009
Dallastown , Pa
I didn't get to check the codes yet , but what all functions does the ECU check that would cause a check engine light ?? I just got the ingnition key made today so I could try starting my $400 '88 Supra ..... it seems to idle fine and revs fine ... when I start the car I have no check engine light and as long as it just idles I get no light but as soon as I rev it up some the check engine light comes on and stays on ..... and will a BHG cause a check engine light ???

Thanks for any help guys !

hornet7288

Oct 18, 2005
Savannah, GA
jetjock;1323434 said:
Ho boy. Check codes and then get back to us....

+1...use a code reader or I think advance auto parts stores will pull the codes for free these days. I do not believe a BHG will cause the check engine light to come on.

supra*13

Jan 4, 2009
massachussets
my 1986 does the same thing if is an automatic you can have a slipping tourque converter or it also hapens when your speedometer cable doesnt work

Evans

May 6, 2009
Dallastown , Pa
OK got the code this evening ... all I'm getting is a 11 , which is momentary loss of 12v to ecu ..... I'm guessing this is because I haven't kept a battery connected to it yet overnight ... will unhooking the battery overnight clear the codes ?? I started it today with the jumper in and left it warm up till the idle came down and temp gage came up to just under half way and stopped , revved it couple of times and din't get any other codes to start flashing besides the 11 ...

Evans

May 6, 2009
Dallastown , Pa
OK , that will have to wait till' the weekend , I don't have a battery in the car yet ... I've been running jumpers from the battery in my truck to the Supra and running off that ...hope to pick up a battery for it this weekend ... Here's a pick of it all washed up compounded by hand and waxed ....

Attachments

• supra 001.jpg
    supra 001.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 10
  • supra 002.jpg
    supra 002.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 7

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
400$!!! Good score man!

If your doing what say, don't diconect the jumper cables until you shut off the car! Your alternator doesn't like it.

Evans

May 6, 2009
Dallastown , Pa
yeah , always shut the car off first .... hope to have a battery today then I can get accurate code readings and actually take the car for a spin up the road !! ..... on another note .. I'm pretty sure it has the BHG .....when I rev it up over 2K rpm it blows white smoke then as it comes back down to idle it goes away ..... no water in the oil luckily !!

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
Still a good score, I would do the basics, compression check, fix that code 11 Like jetjock said, it'll hide all the other codes. Anyways good luck man.

Evans

May 6, 2009
Dallastown , Pa
OK guys , finally got a battery for the Supra , pulled the EFI fuse for couple minutes , replaced and started waited till the light came on , shut it off stuck the jumper in and started .... getting (1) code , a 52 ... knock sensor signal .... I'm 99% sure the car has a BHG (tons of white smoke) .... would that be causing the code 52 ??

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
FYI - disconnecting the battery will have the same effect as pulling the EFI fuse (clears ECU codes). And, the car does not need to be running to check codes...all you need to do is jump the diagnostic terminals and turn the key to "on".

Code 52 is generated for a bad knock sensor or the wiring. Most of the time it's the wiring to the ECU. Shaeff makes a re-wire kit that will fix it.