check engine light stays on (got codes too)

MA70_Powa

Boost Addict
Jun 17, 2007
Tasmania
Hey all,

ever since I got my car back after the conversion the check engine light comes on randomly and stays on - at the time my speedo wasnt working.

I fixed my speedo and put an O2 sensor in (didnt have one before) and it still happens, although most of the time now it only happens when i hit fuel cut - the light will come on and stay on until I turn the car off. Or it'll come on after driving around for a while, like at least half an hour, for no reason.

I took out the efi fuse, drove it then did a check for codes and got 34, 42 and 51.

34 is coz of fuel cut, 51 is a/c im guessing because I haven't had it working since I first bought the car, but 42 stumps me... My speedo works fine now (although it is a little shaky, I've gotta lube it up a bit) so I don't know why I'm still getting the code? woudl the shakyness cause the code?

Also, I don't know if this is related but ever since the conversion my Auto will shift out of 1st gear by itself around 3000rpm even tho the gear lever is in L, and does the same for 2nd gear (at about 3500rpm) - but not O/D. When I was N/A i could stay in 1st or 2nd as long as I wanted.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
lube your Speedo, it may sense that it stops working only for a second and then sends a signal to the computer and does that to you, I know remvoed my speedo once, and my tems wouldn't work correctly.

BTW: Off topic, but if you put a singal socket light bulb in your tail lights, your tems with lock in 3rd after you brake over 40, accelerate fast, or take a corner to fast, also if you hit the brakes on the car, the interior lights and exterior lights will come on!

Thought I would give a little experience there lol, quite funny.

MA70_Powa

Boost Addict
Jun 17, 2007
Tasmania
yea I'll see if the code is still there after I lube it up - although I thought there had to be no signal for 8 seconds for the code to appear? thats what it has on the tech tips page of the tsrm...
anyway, I'll see how I go.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Fuel Cut is at a instance - so basically the tips are incorrect. Many other codes don't need more then 8 seconds anyhow.

Lube it up and see what happens, I am sure it just need to find it's correct place that it is happy..

MA70_Powa

Boost Addict
Jun 17, 2007
Tasmania
now on that note - I was going to do the 'tie speedo cable to open bonnet and attach bag full of oil' method - how much oil should I put in the bag?

MA70_Powa

Boost Addict
Jun 17, 2007
Tasmania
Bit of an update:
I lubed up my speedo cable with oil so the shakyness is now gone.
However, The speedo doesnt react until I'm going about 30km/h (but its been like that since I bought the car and I never had this code or check engine light problem from that) and the CEL still comes on - it seems to happen if I accelerate kinda quickly at the gear shift point around 70-80km/h. As soon as the shift happens the light comes on.
If I go slow tho, it doesn't come on....

MA70_Powa

Boost Addict
Jun 17, 2007
Tasmania
bit of a bump, as I just had a thought...

could the tacho jump I'm experiencing be the tranny slipping, which in turn causes the code to appear?
My speed will stay around 70-80, the tacho drops from 3200 - 2800 and then the car will keep accelerating. It also doesnt happen all the time...

Last edited: