Cheap ebay wategates??

Gritz

Aug 1, 2008
nc
Have you guys tried any of these??? i need a v band style at least 40mm

Gritz

Aug 1, 2008
nc
Ok thats cool, has anyone tried any of the ebay wategates? if so yay or nay?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
WG and the Fuel system are probably the 2 last places you want to cheap out as both can totally destroy an engine in seconds.

Having said that a few here have had success with the cheap gates after stripping them down and checking for adequate clearence on the valve stem BEFORE using them.

Generally the metallurgy is poor in the components but often brand name parts can fit ie: Springs and diaphrams.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
i tried the hks knockoff 50mm but it didnt fit lol so i forked over the $$ for a real one

Gritz

Aug 1, 2008
nc
The reason i asked is because you can't really know, unlesss you try...I remember when people swor against ebay intercoolers, manifolds, turbos..etc now a lot of people has had success with these products..For example, i bought a ebay 1jz mainfold 321 stainless, tabs on all the runners and flange, feels very heavy( 15 lbs) great peice...Being that im not rich, i have to look for the best quality for the money..being a cheap a**, maybe the 1jz is a little above my pay grade!! :)

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Per usual, IJ has hit the nail on the head. :)

There ARE a lot of people that run the knockoff FiAL & HK$ wastegates (as well as blow-off valves) that have great success.

However to my knowledge, most of them at least tore it down to inspect for clearance issues and if need be, replace some of the internals with authentic pieces (Most of these things are interchangable as the knock-off's are almost 100% identical as far as the actual design goes.

I've been there...I've done that. :) A knock-off TiAL that I previously owned quickly became Authentic (Other than the main unit itself).

Of course, nobody can guaranttee success...and that's just a risk you're going to have to take.

"Best bang for the buck" is okay...but if you're even considering being cheap with a Supra.......Don't plan on your journey lasting very long. ;)

Jeff

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
when it comes to being cheap look for used name brand stuff, its more likely to work and to work better than ebay stuff in my experience.

albert74

May 29, 2008
Florida
I bought an 44mm X02 racing wastegate from Driftmotion for about $145 i believe. Haven't had a chance to try it out yet because my car isn't running right yet, but it was cheap and i've heard nothing but good about X02 racing products especially their WG's. Call driftmotion and Aaron will hook you up.

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
IJ.;1120862 said:
WG and the Fuel system are probably the 2 last places you want to cheap out as both can totally destroy an engine in seconds.

Having said that a few here have had success with the cheap gates after stripping them down and checking for adequate clearence on the valve stem BEFORE using them.

Generally the metallurgy is poor in the components but often brand name parts can fit ie: Springs and diaphrams.

Is this an error IJ ?!?!?! Did you mean WG and the Fuel system are probably the 2 last places you DON'T want to cheap out
???????????????

is the world coming to an end?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
OneJArpus;1121326 said:
Is this an error IJ ?!?!?! Did you mean WG and the Fuel system are probably the 2 last places you DON'T want to cheap out
???????????????

is the world coming to an end?
Nope it reads fine to me as posted?
(English is an odd language)