Charcoal Canister Replacement

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
Hey everyone,

I'm embarking on a mission to replace the charcoal canister that is currently missing from my car. My car didn't come with a factory canister since it was removed by the previous owner, and a replacement won't fit due to my down pipe shape and fit. I am planning on going to the junkyard soon in search of an acceptable replacement from a different make and model of car.

My question is - what do I need to look for in a charcoal canister to make sure it will work in a boosted vehicle? I was thinking of trying something off of a Saab or Volvo turbo car, but I'm not 100% sure what to look for.

Thanks for any advice!

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
there was a thread that had other ones that were smaller like the mr2 one i think, maybe i can find that thread for you

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
maybe this can help
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?108804-Charcoal-Canister/page4&highlight=charcoal+canister

the toyota trecel is a smaller cc
attachment.php

one of the guys got a kia spectra cc which was said to be even smaller, but these two cc's didn't have a check valve

BrandonW

Jun 25, 2007
N.J.
oh i was just going off this post

Whoa! Those canisters are still huge imo. The one I pulled from the Kia Spectra is maybe half the size of the Accord canister, around the size of a 6oz cup. Now mind you it doesn't have a check valve, but inline valves are available.

maybe different years have them?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Get the 1jz CC and mount in the rear of the front fender wells out of sight and away from heat.

iwannadie

Jul 28, 2006
gilbert, az
hvyman;1584438 said:
Get the 1jz CC and mount in the rear of the front fender wells out of sight and away from heat.

I've thought about doing that but here in Az they do the emissions testing. They always do a visual check of it and also plug into it. Unless you hid it away but kept an easy access panel to it I could see it being a problem.