Changing my head gasket, me asking for your help while doing this

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Yea I got a new washer and it works perfectly now, no leaks, car started right up and adjusted the timing a bit to make it not run a little rough but I will get it properly timed. There is a little smoke coming from the turbo area I think that is just from sprays like pb blaster and such that I sprayed on those bolts like crazy and it smells like it, if it doesn't stop then what could it be?
I will have the videos up tonight.

Cyrus

Apr 21, 2008
Bay Area, CA
my car smoked from the exhaust side for a while after first start, also. just let it burn off. if it is still smoking steadily after 5 full heat cycles (with load, AKA actual driving), then start worrying.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
The first start up took a little awhile but that is to be expected. Here is the second or third start up

Tomorrow I will try to find out what that loud hissing sound is probably a vacuum line I missed or came out.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
It was terrible lol, took over a month from start to this point and had to deal with fuel leaks. I must say though I could not have made it to this point with very few problems without you guys, thank you all very much for all of the help and advice and dealing with me asking similar questions over and over you guys responded quickly which was exactly what I needed. Thanks again.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
There is a small oil leak dripping down to the middle of the car but I saw some splashes of oil on the passenger side wheel, I will check it out tomorrow and see where it is leaking from. Now for timing, I remember someone said it should be at 10 degrees, is that 10 degrees after or before TDC?

Last edited:

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Oh derp lol. I think I found where the oil leak is coming from I think it's either the oil filter or turbo oil drain pipe maybe it's not tight enough.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
There is 1 plug I can't figure out where it connects to, it sticks out between the idle control valve and throttle body, black rectangle plug.
It's the black plug at the bottom left to the left of the brown injector plug in this picture, I know the other rectangle black plug connects to the idle control valve but I can't figure out where this one goes.
p1864484_1.jpg

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
That bigger plug above the one I am talking about connects to the idle control valve that smaller plug can't fit in it it's too small. I'll check it out and feel around and try to find it and I also need to find out where the vacuum and oil leak are, I am thinking a vac line just popped out because the new ones I used are kind of loose on some hard lines that they connect to.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
I appreciate it, it's frustrating to be at this point and cannot figure out where 1 plug goes that could fix my throttle response issue lol.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
That larger rectangle connector does go to the throttle body, the white connector goes to the idle control valve. I am still looking at the TSRM to find out where that smaller black connector goes.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
the oil wasn't expensive at all actually lol. Cold start injector eh.

Well son of a bitch it is for the cold start injector just looked it up in the TSRM lol. but I don't really see where it is exactly, don't tell me it's underneath the intake manifold.

Cyrus

Apr 21, 2008
Bay Area, CA
yea the injector itself is on the underside of the air intake chamber (AKA upper intake manifold). the injector inserts right in the middle. i found it easy to install the injector first and then attach the banjo bolt to it after mounting the upper intake manifold on the runners.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Is it the picture on page FI-81 in the EFI system > fuel pressure regulator section? Step 3. Disconnect No.2 fuel pipe is that where it connects on the right side of that picture?