Chambers Build Thread - "Tahara Aichi"

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
This is the build of one of my Supra, Its a 1987 factory turbo targa top with leather interior and the sport package. It was the cream of the crop back in the day. I have had the car since 2009 and it has been without its 7M since then. The cam seal had started leaking when a friend of mine was driving it, by the time it was noticed the damage was done. After I bought the car from him I had intentions on doing a second 1UZ-FE swap, but as things unfolded a new friend found a good running Supra with a low mileage Japanese engine. It ran a drove, in fact it drove from Virginia to my garage to have the 7M pulled out and replace it with a 2JZ. So I know the engine is in good condition, but as I started to take it apart I'm finding its in GREAT condition!

Goal:

- Squeeze whatever horse power I can out of it with the stock ECU and a internally stock engine (minus the head gasket and ARP head studs).
- Make a show off worthy car
- Do it all within a predetermined budget

With my past experience and my friends (plus a load of spare parts I don’t use) I think this build will meet all my expectations. After talking with a few people and working it all out on paper/in my head I'm excited at the thought of building a 6 banger in this car.

For the ones who will wonder about the name, Tahara in the Aichi Prefecture in Japan, precisely Sango-1stands a Toyota manufacturing plant, which from what I could gather is where the Supra was manufactured from 79-92. Its a little throw back to the beginning of this car, as its new beginning is just starting.

Now a photo of what it looked like in 09:
3ck2.jpg

More to come shortly

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
I began on the engine by test fitting the FFIM. I was very suprised to see how clean the intake manifold was.

uhlf.jpg

The FFIM wont allow me to run AC, but the car has a targa top, so I'm not sweating it (no pun intended)

8oka.jpg

(dont worry, the alt isnt staying there, haha)

Ohh noes!!! OIL!!!
6s00.jpg

Yup, lots of oil! But look how clean that engine looks!
e4um.jpg

sxf0.jpg

As I was moving around the engine cleaning bits, and removing others, I found this sticker
uc6w.jpg

See ya CT-26!
jhyl.jpg

b4ye.jpg

So after I got the manifold off, I noticed two of the cylinders (2 and 5) have oil build up. Rings? I also removed the fail cooler...
99q0.jpg

More to come

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Thanks, Its all about holding back for me, hahaha. I have always wanted to build a 6 banger, and now that I'm finnaly doing it I gotta make sure I dont break the bank. There are so many things I would try if I didnt have that budget in mind. Like supercharger... twins... compounds... twin charged... etc... :p