Chambers Build Thread - "Daily Eighty-Seven"

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
Thanks for the replies, I wanted to have a merg collector, one 90* and one 45* out of it. But the project is being rushed by outside sources so when I can I will be putting something else together.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Ok, so its been a while. Some crap went down and I had to ditch the turbo project. This is a build thread so I won't give yall a sob story. So my plans have changed drastically for now. I put the car back together and managed to put a Blitz Nur Spec cat back on it, I love the sound but my quest for more power isn't over. First, I'm going to a MAP based ECU to ditch the AFM. Then after getting the stock engine to run like it should I'm going to put individual throttle bodies on, get that going good. Finally finish the turbo "kit" with a redesigned exhaust to turbo manifold on my spare engine and then swap it on the car feeding a plenum that runs to the ITBs. I believe I can mount the turbo in a location that retains my new radiator and lines without major mods. Now that I have a new plan and got my car back, stuff is gonna go the way I really want it to.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Small update, found a set of carbon fiber spark plug wire covers. Wired up the new electric fans too.

img0023rr.jpg

img0024mz.jpg

img0029ys.jpg

img0027zx.jpg

img0028fx.jpg

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Thanks all!

Stopped by a local tuner recently, talked to the owner. He said if re programing the 2JZ-GTE AEM ECU isnt a big pain they would run a dyno tune for me, ditch the AFM and try to squeeze some extra horses out of the stock engine before doing anything else. So I'm hoping the info I sent over will get us to my goal.

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
Enjoyed my time yesterday working with you. Thanks again for lunch. Looking closely at the pics you can really see the deflection in the hood at the cowl. You will have to post some pics when you add the rubber weather strip support to raise the sides at the raised cowl. Going to school on your install should make mine easier!

BTW, to the members reading this, Ron's swap is great. Engine looks fantastic, fits like a glove in the engine bay, and after following the car for a while, must say the V8 sounds great.

milisakeracing

Jan 30, 2006
Kalamazoo, MI
1uzsupra.com
SWD Fredester 3;1840773 said:
BTW, to the members reading this, Ron's swap is great. Engine looks fantastic, fits like a glove in the engine bay, and after following the car for a while, must say the V8 sounds great.

I have to agree with Fred. Ron's done an excellent job getting everything sorted! Of course I may be biased ;)

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
Nice project your supra has come along way from what the PO had done to it, again, PO's taste in wheels were not the best! I'm also planning on taking out the A/C and all it's piping out of my 7m as where I live doesn't reach over 21* or bellow 8* get a little more weight out of the engine bay

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
mk3design;1840767 said:
Loving the hood! What #'s did you hit in that dyno vid?

Thanks, Put down 209HP 223FT LBS OF Torque.

SWD Fredester 3;1840773 said:
Enjoyed my time yesterday working with you. Thanks again for lunch. Looking closely at the pics you can really see the deflection in the hood at the cowl. You will have to post some pics when you add the rubber weather strip support to raise the sides at the raised cowl. Going to school on your install should make mine easier!

Thanks Fred! For a temporary lift I put thoses rubber bumpers we removed on the weather stripping below the low points and it lifted them up a little and its going to keep the hood from bowing any more. I just picked some aluminum and stick on weather stripping today to fab up some framing to keep the hood from bowing.

milisakeracing;1840778 said:
I have to agree with Fred. Ron's done an excellent job getting everything sorted! Of course I may be biased ;)

Thanks man!

ryansmith;1840829 said:
Nice project your supra has come along way from what the PO had done to it, again, PO's taste in wheels were not the best! I'm also planning on taking out the A/C and all it's piping out of my 7m as where I live doesn't reach over 21* or bellow 8* get a little more weight out of the engine bay

Thank you, having a hot rod with AC would be great, but it just wasn't working out for me.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Yesterday I dove into the Supra again, a local wanted to buy the moldings off my car. Since I had a complete set waiting to go on I obliged. Took me all day, but I had a lot more than moldings to swap/replace. I'm happy with the end result, very subtle, and thats how I like it.

After I tore into everything I found some surface rust a few places and rust stains, so I hit those areas with some black paint to help a little until I could do real paint and body work. Also I replaced the hatch struts and I still try to hold it up when it opens haha...

img0012yhb.jpg

The center garnish around the rear plate had been melted at some point, I'm guessing rusted bolts, so I replaced the whole insert with the one from the donor. They swapped right over with no issues. Also replaced the plate light bezels, mine had been broken for some time. I hit them with some Mothers plastic polish and they really cleaned up.

img0018mb.jpg

img0020hw.jpg

I had purchased a replacement auto antenna unit a while ago, the jerks at UPS decided to sit something very heavy on the box and broke the control box mounted to the unit, so I swapped the box from my old unit and installed the assembly.

img0017fvd.jpg

img0021ul.jpg

The tail lights I had bought also came with a set of real nice light trays, apparently the car they came from was rear ended and they were dealer replacement parts.

img0022jfl.jpg

Also replaced the hatch bumpers, I never knew they were rubber, I always thought hard plastic...

img0024ym.jpg

The spare tire well is getting bad, when I bought the car there were no rust holes, one more thing to the list... Its hard to tell, but I actually cleaned up the hatch floor a lot, it was terrible....

img0015bb.jpg

Reassembly went very well, all the nuts and bolt went back one for one, and I don’t think the panels back there had been that aligned in years...

img0025vr.jpg

Finally, the end result. (Before a car wash)You can see the clear rear markers here too, been waiting a while to get them on. Like I said before, subtle, but I like it.

img0026tf.jpg

img0027ug.jpg