CF Targa Top

FatalStylez

Dec 24, 2008
Rolla, Missouri
So I was lookin on ebay today , and came across a REAL carbon fiber targa top piece. it uses all the stock screws and everything. I was wondering if anybody on here has one or has heard anything about them?? Thought about getting one. but sounds like it could crack easy???

zurud

Apr 10, 2005
Evansville, IN
Most cf stuff are fibreglass. Good luck on fnding pure cf. I have cf targa. The fitment isn't that great. I don't think I'll be driving it in rain though. It fits well before I put the seals in or bolt it up. Its crooked on front driver side and back passenger side.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Probably speaking of the one on ebay... I don't see anything but carbon fiber on it.

Why don't more people have it? MKIII owners are notoriously cheap...

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
tbcmorris;1213155 said:
This has bad idea written all over. Targas are a structual part of the body....I wouldn't want to replace that with fiberglass.....it can't be 100%CF
i want to hear reasoning behind this logic.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
tbcmorris;1213155 said:
This has bad idea written all over. Targas are a structual part of the body....I wouldn't want to replace that with fiberglass.....it can't be 100%CF

:biglaugh::biglaugh: So what happens when when you remove your Targa, your car falls apart, your car isn't DOT approved any more, the windshield falls over, the ejecto seat can now be used, driver falls out in a roll over or even worse the doors fall the fuck off because the targa is off?? IDTS

Your post has bad idea written all over it.

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
92nsx;1213177 said:
:biglaugh::biglaugh: So what happens when when you remove your Targa, your car falls apart, your car isn't DOT approved any more, the windshield falls over, the ejecto seat can now be used, driver falls out in a roll over or even worse the doors fall the fuck off because the targa is off?? IDTS

I think he's saying that if the targa is a CF covered fiberglass piece, the torsion from the body would tear it apart. I would agree with him if that is what he is implying.....

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
tbcmorris;1213155 said:

Mr.PFloyd;1213164 said:
i want to hear reasoning behind this logic.

simple,

no targa, torsional flex from the chassis. Anyone that has a Targa supra has experience the wet noodle effect while driving. It sucks. Now it can be 100% CF but any BENFITS of weight gain go right out the window with all the bracing that the targa needs to have to work properly and not display the wetnoodle supra. The stock Targa is NOT that heavy.

92nsx;1213177 said:

no but there is a considerable amount of body flex. It makes for a, umm "intresting" ride especially on uneven surface.

tbcmorris is spot on. The targa is infact part of the structural integrity of the Supra. Now he is not correct about it not being made of 100% CF as it can, just that it will weigh as much as the stock targa and off course, lighten your wallet.

bmoss85

Permanently Banned Scammer
Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
i just dont see the point in getting a CF targa. the stock targa isnt that heavy, i could only see getting it for looks. but if it doesnt fit correctly it wont look good and you've wasted your money.

FatalStylez

Dec 24, 2008
Rolla, Missouri
it claims that its only 10 pounds. I dont know how much the stock ones weigh. But it looks cool. BUT at the same time.CF doesnt like bending,stretching or anything. So I'd think it would crack pretty easy..

tbcmorris

SM Expert Thread Derailer
Mar 14, 2007
PRUVEN PERFORMANCE MILFORD CT
figgie;1213213 said:
simple,

no targa, torsional flex from the chassis. Anyone that has a Targa supra has experience the wet noodle effect while driving. It sucks. Now it can be 100% CF but any BENFITS of weight gain go right out the window with all the bracing that the targa needs to have to work properly and not display the wetnoodle supra. The stock Targa is NOT that heavy.

no but there is a considerable amount of body flex. It makes for a, umm "intresting" ride especially on uneven surface.

tbcmorris is spot on. The targa is infact part of the structural integrity of the Supra. Now he is not correct about it not being made of 100% CF as it can, just that it will weigh as much as the stock targa and off course, lighten your wallet.

Thank you ;)

This is the main reason I'm hardtop.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Um... what?

Carbon fiber is stronger and lighter than steel, which is what our targa is made out of. Could easily be made to be stiffer AND lighter than the factory targa...

super.secret.supra.club

Supramania Contributor
Mar 22, 2007
San Diego, CA
figgie;1213213 said:

i agree with figgie,

the only thing a 100% CF targa going to lighten is your wallet.

although it would still be pretty bad ass seeing a CF targa.

ed.d.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Poodles;1213498 said:
Um... what?

Carbon fiber is stronger and lighter than steel, which is what our targa is made out of. Could easily be made to be stiffer AND lighter than the factory targa...

you are joking right?

think "brittle".......get with it poodles lol