CF/Fiberglass hoods - What hood shock to use?

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
My hood struts/shocks are fairly new and put some extra pressure on my new carbon fiber hood. Has anyone found an off-the-shelf equivalent that fits well, but doesn't have as much "push?"

If not, has anyone done/used something similar to the one that MVP has for the MKIV? With a bracket "at the hood's brackets," so that the push is not exerting force in the middle of the hood?

ts_bonnetdamper.jpg

Yes, I did search first :icon_bigg

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Blown stock struts, properly bolted to the body and hood- then you do this:

I'm using trailer hitch pin clips and have ditched the stock hood latch in favor of Aerocatch hood pins. Tthe old striker makes a great storage point for the clips, too!

Aerocatch pins look great and work as well as I could ask for

Missing latch/etc

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Nice!!!

Do you have any pics of the hood pin install? I have a couple of sets, but am trying to decide which to go with. The least I can do is install the pin and make sure I have good fitment. My struts are near-new. Will have to shop around for a bad set (threw my old ones out long ago).

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The only problem with hood struts are (old, new.. w/e) is that you have to be really keen on NOT trying to pull the hood down accidentally (which I did once on a fiberglass hood and it weren't pretty). Especially if you pin it, never forget its up there to stay.. lol.

I was considering making a swing down arm if I go with a CF hood to prop it up that would hold up on the left hand side (right hand is battery, etc... ) Less chance of ever forgetting its up.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Nothing aside from that has been uploaded- I'll get a couple pics of the latches this weekend.

I did the same thing with my struts, but found a local guy who traded with me (plus cash for my brand new ones).