Center Bearing

Supraholic

Mar 31, 2005
Houston, TX
The center bearing on my 87T M/T propeller shaft has little bit of a play in it.. the shaft can move sideways (about an inch). The rubber part as well as the bearing is moving around inside the housing. Time to replace? Also, i saw some notes (before SM got hacked) about one-piece shaft.. i couldnt find one less than what is listed in suprasport.com. Does this worth the effort? I heard people were having vibration problems in the past with one-piece aluminum shaft. any comments?
Thanks
LK

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
for the record...i dont care what ANYONE says...a one piece shaft isnt THAT much better then a stock two piece etc...the reason people THINK that it is...is because the bearing is so worn out in the old two piece so it makes THAT much of a difference.

anyways as for you play in the bearing sounds like its definitley time for a new one.... it will feel much better...as for the one pieces CFX makes some nice ones...

Supra Blues

Virgin Booster
Mar 30, 2005
Supramania
If the center bearing is bad, can it cause shakes when engaging the clutch.

My old clutch would shake the car when engaged from a stop and when downshifting.

My brand new clutch and brand new flywheel do the same thing. Why????

Is the center bearing at fault????

Race Bred

Mar 30, 2005
Tallahassee, Fl
Idealsupra said:
for the record...i dont care what ANYONE says...a one piece shaft isnt THAT much better then a stock two piece etc...the reason people THINK that it is...is because the bearing is so worn out in the old two piece so it makes THAT much of a difference.

Rotational mass mean much to ya? ;)

Boostedstr8six

I have better SA than you
Mar 30, 2005
Near Columbia, the river
My CB was thrashed. I got a one-piece steel DS made. I noticed a big difference because the bad CB was gone. **From now on I don't ever have to worry about a center bearing.** The one-piece cost less than a new center bearing and is dramatically lighter than the stocker, even though it is steel.

Shinobu

Mmmm... Juicy!
Mar 30, 2005
Columbus, GA
I replaced mine with an Aluminum one-piece unit from Titan Motorsports due to a center-bearing failure on my stock one. It weighed in at about 11 pounds and did not cause any vibrations (other than perhaps those caused by the overall stiffening of the chassis due to the elimination of the center bearing). :eek:

Engine response was also increased.. (rotational mass reduction) :)

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
ok yes...ill agree to the weight reduction helping the rotational mass factor... touche' ;)

however most people dont attribute that being the reason they switch to the one piece.

heh yeah chris i know what duane did to his shaft in vegas...but they are still nice pieces...

and as for the clutch shaking or whatnot...is it a stock or aftermarket clutch...6 and 3 pucks tend to "chatter" and that might be what you are referring to.

boostedst8six brought up a couple of good points as well... (dont get me wrong...ill be going with a one piece as well mainly due to what im about to say)... price comparison, not having to deal with another bearing etc are all good points to switch IF YOURS IS BAD.

heavyearly87t

Mr.Url
Mar 31, 2005
Edmonton Alberta Canada Eh?
Boostedstr8six said:
My CB was thrashed. I got a one-piece steel DS made. I noticed a big difference because the bad CB was gone. **From now on I don't ever have to worry about a center bearing.** The one-piece cost less than a new center bearing and is dramatically lighter than the stocker, even though it is steel.

So what was the cost difference? Bearing VS Steel 1 piece?