CB Radios...

Shaz

You are being, illogical
Jan 12, 2009
Brownslow, London
I have no idea if it's even a topic that can be discussed in this section so feel free to shift or tell me to hush up :aigo:

Does anyone know anything about CB Radio, I know it's probably a dying thing now and my friend said only truckers use it in the States, just wondering what anyone can tell me about it all and if I wanted to fit one in my car for the sake of retro cool what's needed to hook one up.

If anyone has one lying about they want to off load say so aswell.

LilMissMkIII

That Aussie Chick
Aug 18, 2006
Aussie Land
We always use them (but 2 way radios instead of CBs) on our Supra cruises - i'd say 80% of people that come to the events/cruises have them.

It's great to talk shit when we're driving, or notify people of a change in the travel plans.

Tis alot of fun on the big trips we do for Toyota Nationals and Supra Nationals where we have 30+ cars.

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
I'm a trucker. They were big in the 70's, Smokey and the bandit made sure of that. I have a cobra 29 classic. In the U.S. They run about $90 bucks for the radio. Plus a good antenna runs about $50 They sell them with magnets so that you don't have to drill to mount. And then you'll need a coax cable to run from the radio to the antenna. That runs about $20 for a good one. You can also get the radio peaked and tuned for $40(not necessary). Then you are already. Oh the radio can be plugged into the cigarette lighter. Hope that helps.

Shaz

You are being, illogical
Jan 12, 2009
Brownslow, London
The magnet thing sounds useful for the antenna, I'd probably use the existing mount on my wing so I can run the cable in it's original place so that's cool too.

Obviously being in the UK I might not find a constant use for one but I just thought they might be cool.

veedubin

Official SM Decals
Shaz;1490157 said:
I have no idea if it's even a topic that can be discussed in this section so feel free to shift or tell me to hush up :aigo:

Does anyone know anything about CB Radio, I know it's probably a dying thing now and my friend said only truckers use it in the States, just wondering what anyone can tell me about it all and if I wanted to fit one in my car for the sake of retro cool what's needed to hook one up.

If anyone has one lying about they want to off load say so aswell.

CB's are the devil (if you can't control your hobbies) Seriously though, they are a wonderful tool to have while on longer road trips. I have had many different setups over the years. For your average occasional user, a nice cobra 25 or 29 is a great choice. they are relatively small to mount, and the output is decent. If you can't controll your hobbies like me, you end up with a fully modded Cobra 200GTL DX with night watch. Spent a butt load of money on that setup, but I was able to (with the right conditions) talk to people in florida from up here in PA. Oh- this is NOT in my supra, it's in my service truck so I'm not lookin to be the new age "bandit" :biglaugh:

Anyways, long story short- I love CB's they are better than GPS and they
know where all the cops are. I would have one in the supra but I can't find a suitable antenna solution that doesn't look like crap.

All you really need is a good transciever, antenna, mic, and wiring.
Just remeber that you need to match the antenna to the radio, then tune your antenna to avoid damage to the transciever. Here are my reccomendations for equipment:
CB- Cobra 25LTD or 29LTD you can get them with bluetooth and all sorts of other fun features just ccheck out thier website.
Antenna- Wilson the model will depend on what CB you run
Mic- Astatic noice canceling Mic (for talking with the windows down)
For best results, don't use the cig lighter for a permanent mount. If you are going to keep it in there, wire it right.

Hope this helps some

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
We did the 2 way radio thing in TX. Was helpful when people started pointing out all the LEOs on the way to mexico...

Shaz

You are being, illogical
Jan 12, 2009
Brownslow, London
veedubin;1490304 said:
CB's are the devil (if you can't control your hobbies) Seriously though, they are a wonderful tool to have while on longer road trips. I have had many different setups over the years. For your average occasional user, a nice cobra 25 or 29 is a great choice. they are relatively small to mount, and the output is decent. If you can't controll your hobbies like me, you end up with a fully modded Cobra 200GTL DX with night watch. Spent a butt load of money on that setup, but I was able to (with the right conditions) talk to people in florida from up here in PA. Oh- this is NOT in my supra, it's in my service truck so I'm not lookin to be the new age "bandit" :biglaugh:

Anyways, long story short- I love CB's they are better than GPS and they
know where all the cops are. I would have one in the supra but I can't find a suitable antenna solution that doesn't look like crap.

All you really need is a good transciever, antenna, mic, and wiring.
Just remeber that you need to match the antenna to the radio, then tune your antenna to avoid damage to the transciever. Here are my reccomendations for equipment:
CB- Cobra 25LTD or 29LTD you can get them with bluetooth and all sorts of other fun features just ccheck out thier website.
Antenna- Wilson the model will depend on what CB you run
Mic- Astatic noice canceling Mic (for talking with the windows down)
For best results, don't use the cig lighter for a permanent mount. If you are going to keep it in there, wire it right.

Hope this helps some

Thanks for that dude, I think I'll look into that setup because it looks like the sort of thing I would want to start with. With antenna, would they still work if they're mounted flat in somewhere like the rain tray or would they need to be upright, either is fine on the DD.

If your Supra is a Targa it would work out well for a modern day bandit look ;-)

veedubin

Official SM Decals
Shaz;1490678 said:
Thanks for that dude, I think I'll look into that setup because it looks like the sort of thing I would want to start with. With antenna, would they still work if they're mounted flat in somewhere like the rain tray or would they need to be upright, either is fine on the DD.

If your Supra is a Targa it would work out well for a modern day bandit look ;-)

CB antennas need to be mounted perpendicular to the ground. As the radiated waves come from the center of the mast and radiate straight out. The straighter the antenna the better the transmit capability. Just do your self a huge favor, once you have the equipment installed in your car, find a CB shop to tune your antenna. this is done with a simple SWR meter(some CB's actually have this built in.) And it is better, IMO, to get a stainless steel mast as opposed to a fiberglas stick antenna. the fstainless doesn't look too far from factory, and alot easier to tune.

bmoss85

Permanently Banned Scammer
Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
After you install it, paint a big bird on your hood. LOL!

The thought never crossed my mind to a cb in the supra or any car. But I guess it could be good back up if your cell didn't work.

veedubin

Official SM Decals
That is probably going to be the most discrete way to do it. And to retain FM/AM reception, use one of those "hidden antennas" they work half decent and don't cost much.
Also, for your antenna, try to choose one with a freq. dedicated coil. I'm not sure how cross pond stuff goes, but for US 10 meter band is like 26.xxx - 27.xxx mhz channel 19 is the main channel used by most every one. so if you guys use the same thing, get an antenna that will do the most good on 27.1850 mhz. it will usually have a listing of the freq capabilities on the back of the package.
good luck with the install, post pics of your final setup.

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
bmoss85;1490743 said:
After you install it, paint a big bird on your hood. LOL!

The thought never crossed my mind to a cb in the supra or any car. But I guess it could be good back up if your cell didn't work.

They are great to find out where all the evil knievels and black and whites are. Also great when on long trips. Keep your ears open for accidents and construction. Can save you alot of time. Oh And to find out if the scales are open.

trucker

Feb 18, 2006
i'm bad, i'm nationwide
Ok. My turn. Don't. Just don't. Unless you are a glutton for punishnent. 90% of the time, cb's are used to set up hookers or drug deals. The other 10%, you will hear them talking about your womans tits or legs as you pass them. (We all do it, but now you can hear it) and if you have kids in the car, don't even turn it on.
If that didn't bother you, the cobra 29 is kinna the industry standard. Avoid anything with a lighted faceplate, even the cobras. A plain jane 29, with a 15 dollar peak and tune will get you anywhere u are likely to go. Throw the mic away, they all suck. Even the high dollar units come with 5 dollar mics. Astatic is your friend, road king as well. Shop hard, u can find a new 29 for 59-69 bucks. Mic for 29, cheap fiberglass antenna for 20(they work the best, the wilsons are a waste of money)and a few bucks for assorted stuff. Don't bother with magnet mounts, the grounds suck, and they WILL blow off, no matter what the package claims.

And if ya like it, you can go up from there. Ranger 2950/70's, connex, magnum, texas star, on and on. My main unit was a magnum s3, with a connex 3300hp backup. These were absolute blowtorches, dead-key about 4 watts, swinging 60. That's major modulation.

Both these powerful(and very expensive) units sat turned off the last two years I was otr. You can only hear"shutup stupid" "I aint got no panties on" "where's the wild women at?" Or some jackass throwin a 500 watt dead-key so many times before you get sick of it. One of those dead-key assholes made the mistake of being seen. I have reason to believe a pair of dikes were used on his antenna wire while he was keyed-up with a high dollar linear amplifier. That driver was applauded and honked at on his way back to m...his truck.

I sold those radios last month for 200 each. And I was happy to take the loss

Kevin P

Jan 25, 2006
London, England
One other thing to bear in mind Shaz is that US legal kit will not be legal in the UK! Take a look at Maplin or Ebay UK and see whats about. We use the PMR radios on the club runs or on occasion, the larger sets from a local hire shop chap.

I used to be very active on UK CB and will be more than happy to offer any advice if you want..............and I'm only just down the road.

Mind you, your "bandit" look for the GT Ltd has got me thinking...but I'm not painting a giant budgie on the bonnet for anyone. You can do that if you ever offer me enough for it!!!!

Shaz

You are being, illogical
Jan 12, 2009
Brownslow, London
I WILL offer you enough for it one day. I know you'll feel like an idiot and I'll manage to sell it back to you for more than I paid ;-)

How different is our CB system here in comparison to theirs anyway?

btw @ trucker: I got rid of my money consuming girlfriend and don't have kids so that's cool, the drug deals though, tell me more....

So don't flame me for bringing this thread back, but I've been considering doing this for a while and this thread seems to give a good amount of information. Up here in central PA, half the pickups around here have radios and a few friends started using them again for trips.

I'm admittedly a novice when it comes to all this and don't have anything special equipment wise.. However I've been thinking about antenna placement on my 87. If I was wingless I'd consider just a quick magnetic mount on the hatch, but that options out. And before someone mentions it I'd like to keep the factory antenna.

I was pretty sure I've seen ones that can be mounted on glass, like an old car phone antenna. I'm assuming these aren't a great choice, any opinions from the more experienced crowd?

trucker

Feb 18, 2006
i'm bad, i'm nationwide
yeah, keep far away from magnet mounts, or those thru the glass cell-phone look a likes.

if you want to do it right, fab up a bracket under your bumper, and extend it far enough back to allow you to mount the antenna up behind your ride.

another way(if you don't mind holes) is to go get one of those mirror mount brackets. drill into your quarter panel and mount it in, with the backing plate, with three of the provided bolts. then use the fourth bolt hole to run your coax through.

neither of those options are gonna look good on a shiny show car, but i have done it both ways with great success.

lol, i did the mirror mount method on an old festiva i had. with the red-tipped white antenna, it looked like a damn r/c car from a hundred yards out.

im actually in the market for a new radio right now. thinking of ordering a Galaxy 959 fully modded.