Catch can mounting on your MKIII JZ swap.

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
I'm trying to get some ideas for mounting my catch can and running the lines. I've got a pretty good idea so far just looking to see what else is out there. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've got a MKIII with a 2jzgte swap.

Thanks

Matt

Dylan JZ

一番 King
Oct 18, 2007
湾岸せん
this was just posted a few days ago.. it's also been covered a dozen times.

I'm not trying to be a hardass, but it's going to be more beneficial for you to search the threads anyways.

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Follow the red line on the left side:
p1808534_1.jpg

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
I was told the other day, that if the catch can is not rerouted back before the turbo, that I would need to run a vacuum pump for the engine.....is this true? First time I had ever heard that.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
No, that is not true.

You should have vacuum for any catch can. Some people vent the can which is like leaving the PCV open to the atmosphere.

It's best to have the valve covers to the inlet and vacuum pull on the outlet as that is what pulls your fumes and vapors out to the cover.

airhead04

Aug 21, 2009
Lima, Ohio, United States
Ok, so now, lets say I route mine like Toyotanos does. Should I cap the PCV on the throttle body? Or just throw a filter on it? Because my next purchase is going to be a catch can, but I want to be sure I have it routed correctly to get the best performance from it.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Actually, the ideal system would take that top port on my catch can and run it to a vacuum port to maintain PCV circulation at all times. It has to be a small orifice, similar to what the factory port has, because it becomes a boost leak when manifold pressure is positive. That way when manifold pressure is negative it pulls the vapors into the engine to be burned off, and when its positive, it helps move the vapors through the piping into the turbo inlet for better evacuation! That's how a PCV system is supposed too work! Movement of gasses is the key.

toyotanos

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Not necessary, you want the gasses to be moving, otherwise it wouldn't be positive ventilation. You want it to flow both directions so its working right all the time!

CRsupraiii

Oct 24, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
You get it mounted Matt? Idk where I'm gonna throw mine... And I think I might need to get some baffling material to insert into mine. It came with a mounting bracket though...

- Joe
Sent from my iPhone

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
hey Joe text me a picture of your catch can. I can't remember did your car have abs still? I'll send you a picture of how I mounted mine when I get out to the shop.

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
CRsupraiii;1809277 said:
You get it mounted Matt? Idk where I'm gonna throw mine... And I think I might need to get some baffling material to insert into mine. It came with a mounting bracket though...

- Joe
Sent from my iPhone

That's the problem with the cans that are sold today, they are just that, a can. No baffling inside which actually does the work. Even seen a can that was ran for thousands of miles and doesn't have a drop of oil? -_-

CRsupraiii

Oct 24, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
No ABS, I'll get you pics, it's a Driftmotion unit I bought like a year and half ago.

Andy, what should I put inside of mine for baffling? I thought I read steel wool one time...

- Joe
Sent from my iPhone