Catalytic converters

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Ok, so my car is bone stock (minus suspension and wheels.. oh and a sweet K&N drop in!!) meaning still has the stock catalytic converters and everything.

The car smells like shit now and assume the cats are going, is there any way to revive them? or at least stop the smell, haha. I know removing them would solve the problem, but I like the quiet comfortable ride as it is..

Theres no sniffer test in FL so them actually working doesn't matter, I just want to stop the smell.

tissimo

Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
Poodles;1380404 said:
Smell is usually for a reason... Contamination, wrong AFR....

A few months back I had a big exhaust manifold leak, I'm sure it caused some funky afrs for a bit. Other then that all is fine, gas mileage is normal. I usually fill up at the same gas stations and has been smelling for about a month and a half.

Though about 2 months ago I did fix my BOV so it didn't leak and was flogging on the car quite a bit. Maybe the old age + the low AFRs of WOT coated it or something?

Any fix?

I prefer to fix as cheap as possible, so a new cat is out of the question. I'll just knock it out and cut out the precat if i have to, but would rather not.

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
New cat is about $100 bro...

tissimo;1380417 said:
A few months back I had a big exhaust manifold leak, I'm sure it caused some funky afrs for a bit. Other then that all is fine, gas mileage is normal. I usually fill up at the same gas stations and has been smelling for about a month and a half.

Though about 2 months ago I did fix my BOV so it didn't leak and was flogging on the car quite a bit. Maybe the old age + the low AFRs of WOT coated it or something?

Any fix?

I prefer to fix as cheap as possible, so a new cat is out of the question. I'll just knock it out and cut out the precat if i have to, but would rather not.

emiliorescigno

Supramania Contributor
Sep 17, 2006
Woodbury, MN
I've heard that different gasses sometimes don't play well with some cats. Try different gas stations and see if a smelly pattern emerges.

tissimo

Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
rayall01;1380448 said:
Just remember about the visual check. If they look and there's no cat, uh oh.
No inspection here.
KicknAsphlt;1380460 said:
New cat is about $100 bro...
$100 wasted, I'll knock it out/cut it out before wasting money like that, lol.
emiliorescigno;1380461 said:
I've heard that different gasses sometimes don't play well with some cats. Try different gas stations and see if a smelly pattern emerges.
I'll give it a shot.

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
tissimo;1380506 said:
No inspection here.

$100 wasted, I'll knock it out/cut it out before wasting money like that, lol.

I'll give it a shot.

I was mostly saying that to lewis, but it applies everywhere there is a visual safety inspection.

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
rayall01;1380583 said:
I was mostly saying that to lewis, but it applies everywhere there is a visual safety inspection.

I go to a place on 44 called atlantic fuel. Its just two middle eastern guys one in the store one in the garage. When i first bought the supra I passed with an ez button taped to the dash for a horn, no tail/brake lights (TLFS issue) and i had taken my cat off and installed an hks downpipe, but hadnt gotten my test pipe yet so the exhaust was just dumping out the downpipe. My brothers 98 dakota just passed with a HUGE manifold leak, and a check engine light with like 10 trouble codes. Inspections stickers are the only business they get as their fuel is trash, and noone trusts them to work on their car, the other bay is always empty.

CF_Sapper;1380587 said:
well if you wanna be sneaky you could alway just weld a cat covering over your test pipe

Thats clever! I like that!

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
lewis15498;1380598 said:
I go to a place on 44 called atlantic fuel. Its just two middle eastern guys one in the store one in the garage. When i first bought the supra I passed with an ez button taped to the dash for a horn, no tail/brake lights (TLFS issue) and i had taken my cat off and installed an hks downpipe, but hadnt gotten my test pipe yet so the exhaust was just dumping out the downpipe. My brothers 98 dakota just passed with a HUGE manifold leak, and a check engine light with like 10 trouble codes. Inspections stickers are the only business they get as their fuel is trash, and noone trusts them to work on their car, the other bay is always empty.

Thats clever! I like that!

I know that, cause you told me that. I'm just pointing out that the visual inspection still exists, and to be careful if you are going any other place than the 2 middle eastern guys.