Casey's Ricer RHD Build

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
Hey Rafa. Long time no talk. RHD swap is taking a lot longer to get under way than I anticipated. I was waiting until I went to school and now that I am, I really don't have time to do anything lol. Work 5 days a week and go to school the 2 days I have off. I pulled the engine on Tues. I started at about 6 and ended at 9. Now this Tuesday I gotta talk to the guy that will be pulling my brake and a/c lines out, rack out, etc... and putting the RHD goodness in after the body shop gets done with the firewall and paint. After that's done, what should I buy next? Tein Flex or Arz front and rear big brake kits? I was leaning more towards suspension for now. Although I can't wait to get my hands on those BBKs.

I bought new inner and outer tie rods from where I work and some new poly rack bushings from suprasport.com for the RHD swap. I just need to get a new set of ball joints.

My project was that I was going to try to make LED tail lights but I failed miserably at taking the lenses off. Apparently toyota thought it would be a good idea to embed 6 metal studs into the lens and into the backing resulting in me cracking them. So im just going to send the good set out and have them blacked out. I will still put LEDs in the front turn signals tho. More updates to come soon...I hope.

Now help me decide. BBK or Teins...

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
dcrusupra;890547 said:
Body guy isn't sure but he's probably going to switch firewalls because of the bulge where the heater core goes. The only problem he may run into is that the firewall runs into the floor boards. Once I pull the motor and transmission its getting towed to the shop and they'll start by pulling all the brake and A/C lines out.

Thank you for fixing the thread Ian lol.

Some write ups/progress threads to give you an idea on what's involved...

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1435957&page=1
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=74492&highlight=RHD+conversion

I'm sure there's more, just google...

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
Shit, its been a while. I FINALLY sent the car into the shop for the RHD swap. I got it there on Thursday and he said he'd start it this Monday and have it done in 2 weeks so that puts it around the 23rd of this month. Hopefully that will stand true.

This is when we were loading the Supra on to the truck.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

After the swap is done, I'm putting the stock motor back in then saving up for some Tein Type Flex coilovers and some swaybars. Anyone have some input on a good set of swaybars?

After I do the suspension, I'm putting the body kit on it and am going to have it painted. Body kit is as follows...

Replica Greddy Gracer bumper
p1045408_1.jpg

Replica Bomex sideskirts and rears
p1045408_2.jpg

Replica Sunshade
p1045408_3.jpg

Replica Turn Signal Covers
p1045408_4.jpg

And one last picture of it being LHD...
p1045408_5.jpg

I'm still dying for a set of 89+ trim. I can't find a set for the life of me. I cannot get the car painted without the 89+ trim.

I got some new rack boots, inner and outer tie rods, polyurethane steering rack bushings, and a SS braided power steering line. I have to switch the new RHD gauge cluster lights to the LEDs again.

GeneStarWindGSW

Been To The Other Side...
Mar 25, 2007
No Man's Land
www.bidmingle.com
damn casey, i told u its been like 6 months almost lol.

well hey bro i still got my erebuni sideskirts and kamarni rear bumper bro. i'll hook u up with a bad ass deal for em bro since im done with the supra game for now.

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
Well, the 23rd came around and no car yet. I am going to check on its progress tomorrow. I'll take a few pictures of what they've accomplished, if anything. The shop is dicking me around with dates. I call every 2 days asking if they need anything and how much longer they think it will be and they always say give us 2 more days. It's starting to get me angry. It's not the fact that they are taking longer than they said, but more of the fact that they can't give me a straight day. If he says, look, we'll have the car done in a month, I'd just say, ok I'll see you in a month. The fact that they keep telling me different dates is starting to get to me.

Anyway, I decided to mess around with the cluster. And the following is just a duplicate post from another thread I started...

The cluster is completely stock. But there is a huge difference to me at least. I messed around at work a little bit on it and it turned out great.

After I scraped all the orange paint off with a razor blade I put this stuff on with a microfiber cloth. It worked awesome to get it to a clear finish.
p1059908_1.jpg

Then I put some of this paint on (Like The Dude recommended)
p1059908_2.jpg

And it came out like this, (Sorry about the cell phone pics, my g/f has my camera) PS - I know the speedo and tach are a little bit off.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

p1059908_3.jpg

You can see on this one, I spray painted the middle pieces of the needles with a satin black spray paint because I couldn't get to the orange in the center.
p1059908_4.jpg

Also, if you look close enough on that last pic you can see where I penciled in a line for common MPH. 45, 60, and 75, lol.

I also ordered new LEDs for the back of the cluster. 4 red 194 LEDs, 3 super white 194 LEDs, 1 red 74 LEDs, and 5 super white 74 LEDs. The super white 74 LEDs are for the random things on the cluster, like the seatbelt light, turn signal lights, high beam light, etc... Anything with a colored filter on it. I have no clue how the white will look against the filters so it's more of an experiment than anything.

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
God dammit. So I brought the car to the shop on the 5th of this month. It is now the 24th. It's been 19 days. Guess what they have done so far...

All they did was take the dashboard out of the clip and the gauge cluster and armrest out of my car. :3d_frown: WTF! Nobody in the shop saw me today when I went, which is what I was trying to do. I'm going to call him tomorrow and ask him what he has done so far to see if he's going to bullshit me that much. I'm thinking about taking it to another shop. If tomorrow doesn't go well I think I will.

GeneStarWindGSW

Been To The Other Side...
Mar 25, 2007
No Man's Land
www.bidmingle.com
dcrusupra;1060588 said:
God dammit. So I brought the car to the shop on the 5th of this month. It is now the 24th. It's been 19 days. Guess what they have done so far...

All they did was take the dashboard out of the clip and the gauge cluster and armrest out of my car. :3d_frown: WTF! Nobody in the shop saw me today when I went, which is what I was trying to do. I'm going to call him tomorrow and ask him what he has done so far to see if he's going to bullshit me that much. I'm thinking about taking it to another shop. If tomorrow doesn't go well I think I will.
yo casey bring the supra to my house and we'll do the RHD conversion there ;)

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
Lol if the shop wasn't honest today I might have seriously considered it. But they were completely honest with me. I didn't mention anything about being in the shop the day before and he told me all they've done so far was take the dash out of the clip and today they started clearing out the brake lines to cut the firewall out of my car and clip. I told him I might stop by tomorrow, but I probably won't. I just wanted them to get it in gear a little so I won't be dissappointed when I see it.

Oh well, enough ranting.

A quick question though, Tein coilovers or a paint job next?

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
SMALL UPDATE...

So I get bored easily. And since the car is STILL in the shop, I took the dash board home and decided to paint it because it looked nasty.

Before...
sm_photo_missing.jpg

After...
p1076336_1.jpg

And a couple of shots with a decent camera of the gauges/needles...
p1076336_2.jpg

p1076336_3.jpg

And I've put all the LEDs in it but I haven't been able to check what it looks like since I don't have the car yet. He said I should have it back in 2 weeks, and I told him I'm going to try to make the FL2K8 Lexus/Supra meet on the 25th of this month. So we'll see. I also told him that since he took the old front bumper off, to put the new Gracer one on so it'll come back with that. :icon_bigg

That black is my new interior color by the way. I've decided to spray it all a semi flat black instead of what I had planned on my last supra. Which was gloss black with a gloss red accent theme. Now it's going to be semi flat black with red stitching.

A few pics from my old supra...
p1076336_4.jpg

p1076336_5.jpg

kntmikado

Rage Your Dream...
Apr 2, 2005
East Troy, WI 53120
Didn't read most of the thread (I at least read the first page), but did you consider the digi-dash before opting for the needle-gauge dash? Unless you're not going 1J and it therefore won't work. There aren't many digi-dash cars making themselves known (if many exist at all) so it would be pretty awesome to see another one.

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
I thought about it, but I'm sticking with the 7M so it's gonna take a little bit to make it work, in the end not worth the trouble because I drive around with the top off frequently and from what I hear, you can't see it when the sun is shining on it.

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
So I took the old black and red door panels and painted them this way...

sm_photo_missing.jpg

I figured the flat black wouldn't look good with the gloss red so I sprayed them all black. I've finished spraying all of the interior so when it comes back I'm just going to swap all of they gray out for this stuff...

I need the inserts that are gray on this in the vinyl on the rear armrests...
p1083265_1.jpg

I'm also going to keep the carpet out until I find a good sound deadener. I'm going to put as much of it as I can everywhere. So anyone have any input on a good brand?

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
I'm going to do coilovers after I buy my Pioneer headunit.

Anyway, another little tiny interior update...

I finished the rear armrest part, almost. Just waiting on someone to sell me the upper vinyl parts on it.
p1085978_1.jpg

Hard to see but I sprayed the speaker grill black and I painted the "Live Sound" in the center red...
p1085978_2.jpg

Another angle of the doors and rear armrests...
p1085978_3.jpg

And a custom blacked out Toyota emblem for the front...
p1085978_4.jpg

I'm going to check out the cars progress tomorrow, should be VERY close to being done.

The only thing left in the interior is to paint the interior trim around the quarter panel windows, get a lot of sound deadener/insulation, put the black carpet from my old Supra in, and rewrap the seats.

Another question, in Europe/Japan/Aus and wherever else they are RHD, is the drivers seat power like our drivers seat here? If so, 2 power seats here I come. :biglaugh: