car's breaking up around 4k

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Hey guys, checked codes, I had code 31, sat for a month while I found a replacement AFM, finally got one and replaced my AFM with another.

Started the car and it threw white smoke, smelled as if it were burning something (not oil or coolant, more like paper?), left the garage full of white smoke, checked for leaks, or worse, FIRE, but nothing...(phew) Maybe a spider made a nest in the exhaust, and I burned it to hell..?

Anyway, I drove it around, and immediately noticed it breaks up around 4k rpm. Figured it was an idle thing, let it sit for a while, drove it again, same thing, it'll boost and accelerate, but it starts to cut out around 4k, but no CEL and it's not fuel cut, because it's not as bad. Checked codes again, and still, nothing..

I have no catylitic converter, so I ruled that out. What do you guys think it could be..? Bad electronics again..?

max-89supra(t)

Dec 12, 2008
vancouver, wa
hey man i recently started having the same problem, im changing the tps tomorrow cuz its giving me problems, doing boost leak test and checking the electronics with a tester to see if anything is out, ill tell you if i find anything

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
I'll take her out for another spin, I haven't touched her since then, kinda bummed me out, plus my 92's clutch started acting up, so I've been dealing with that...:(

max-89supra(t)

Dec 12, 2008
vancouver, wa
hey man my problem was the tps, i ordered a new one from toyota replaced it and the problem went away:icon_bigg:icon_bigg:icon_bigg

i knew the tps was screwing up my idle but i didnt know it was the reason for my car breaking up at about 3-4 k, its boosts but once u get into that rpm range it feels like a big lag and i had a bunch of smoke comimg out of my exhaust.

i recommend you do a resistance check on the tps with an ohm meter.