Carbon Fiber Dash Cover

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
Anyone interested? It is a cover that goes over the top part of the dashboard. This part is not a dashboard replacement.

Shine could produce these through a group buy of 15 buyers for approximately $500 to $600.

The pictures below show a dashboard cover by S2 in right hand drive configuration. Shine will not be replicating the S2; instead they will make a similar product for left hand drive.

70_dash_1.jpg

70_dash_2.jpg

Last edited:

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
Interested at $500, but more than that is pushing it. You would get me even more intrested if there was an option for a center console as well. Moe money of course, but it would be a much more polished look IMO

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Mar 30, 2005
Victoria, BC, Canada
I like the idea, but I imagine the reflection would be blinding in the sun. How about a much cheaper fiberglass version that can be painted/covered in fabric/flocked?

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
Thank you for providing feedback, everyone.

rakkasan;1936721 said:
Interested at $500, but more than that is pushing it. You would get me even more intrested if there was an option for a center console as well. Moe money of course, but it would be a much more polished look IMO

To put things in perspective, the S2 carbon dash cover is $800 + shipping from Japan. While Shine will not be producing a center console, there is an Ebay vendor that makes a carbon fiber center console.

bloodasp90;1936723 said:
rodel, thats sexy.. but more then 500 is pushing it.. though it is very sexy!
Ye$ it $ure i$ $exy.

Chambers;1936732 said:
How much of the dash will it cover?

The top part of the dash.

steveyblack;1936760 said:
How will it attach to the dash? Will it ruin the dash underneath it?

Double sided tape. No it will not ruin the dashboard underneath

Enraged;1936804 said:
I like the idea, but I imagine the reflection would be blinding in the sun. How about a much cheaper fiberglass version that can be painted/covered in fabric/flocked?

I agree on the reflection. If this product is produced, mine will be satin clear coated.

The purpose of this group buy is to have a mold made. Shine will make a mold if it has 15 buyers lined up at a cost of $500 per dashboard cover. After a mold is made, I'm sure Shine could produce in fiberglass, which costs less.

clutch;1936813 said:
can you also get one that is for a RHD?

Thank you for asking; however, Shine will only be making this product in LHD. You could buy an S2 dash cover in RHD from a retailer like RHD Japan.

Trent

Quietly Browsing
Oct 30, 2007
Austin TX
I've got a genuine CF dash cover and arm rest cover that the previous owner of my car built himself. After seeing what he went through to make it work and all the labor involved, $500 is a STEAL!

Mr Bojangles

Feb 9, 2009
Madison, WI
It's definitely a nice idea, but I wouldn't go in on it until I could see how good the fitment was and where the cutoff lines are and how it flows. I don't want something that looks like a goofy toupe sitting on top of the dash, but if it flowed well i'd be in.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
agreed. if it's made to terminate at a logical, aesthetic point, and can be had in a matte(no-glare) finish, I might be in.
PS- Would it extend all the way up to cover the defroster area? Mine's got cracks forming there.

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
Trent;1937006 said:
I've got a genuine CF dash cover and arm rest cover that the previous owner of my car built himself. After seeing what he went through to make it work and all the labor involved, $500 is a STEAL!

Exactly. As I mentioned, the S2 dash cover is over $800 + shipping from Japan.

Mr Bojangles;1937010 said:
It's definitely a nice idea, but I wouldn't go in on it until I could see how good the fitment was and where the cutoff lines are and how it flows. I don't want something that looks like a goofy toupe sitting on top of the dash, but if it flowed well i'd be in.

I realize the importance of knowing the quality of a product before buying; however, to reiterate, the purpose of this group buy is to have Shineautoproject develop the cover and create a mold. Think of group buy participants as the investors in making the mold. The return that we receive is the final product. Shineautoproject does not disappoint with their products.

If you look at the pics below, you could somewhat gauge the coverage area of the cover.
70_dash_1.jpg

70_dash_2.jpg

supraguy@aol;1937015 said:
agreed. if it's made to terminate at a logical, aesthetic point, and can be had in a matte(no-glare) finish, I might be in.
PS- Would it extend all the way up to cover the defroster area? Mine's got cracks forming there.

I agree. Matte would be the ideal finish. The cover would extend to the windshield.

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
Trent;1937006 said:

It might help this thread a bit if you snapped a few photos of your dash cover and exactly how it fits and looks, and what it all covers. You can see cover decent in the pics provided, but there is nothing better then seeing it actually in a car. I think I will say this for everyone interested in this part........ Thanks for the photos!

Trent

Quietly Browsing
Oct 30, 2007
Austin TX
91Supra313;1937458 said:
It might help this thread a bit if you snapped a few photos of your dash cover and exactly how it fits and looks, and what it all covers. You can see cover decent in the pics provided, but there is nothing better then seeing it actually in a car. I think I will say this for everyone interested in this part........ Thanks for the photos!

Previous owner unfortunately left it sitting out in the sun for a couple years and the clear coat on it has peeled and cracked off so I am in the process of fixing that and sanding it and clearing it all up again. It's not a very attractive piece right now ;)

I do know that he found an old dash and bought it and built it on that dash and it does cover the entire top of it. It wraps slightly around the sides and has openings for the defroster vents and does cover all the way to the windshield as well. I unfortunately won't be much help with pictures, but I will be sure to get some when it is finished.

rodel

SoCal
May 19, 2005
SoCal
Torque;1937460 said:
Count me in.

Awesome

Trent;1937511 said:
Previous owner unfortunately left it sitting out in the sun for a couple years and the clear coat on it has peeled and cracked off so I am in the process of fixing that and sanding it and clearing it all up again. It's not a very attractive piece right now ;)

I do know that he found an old dash and bought it and built it on that dash and it does cover the entire top of it. It wraps slightly around the sides and has openings for the defroster vents and does cover all the way to the windshield as well. I unfortunately won't be much help with pictures, but I will be sure to get some when it is finished.

Thank you for the input, Trent.

LoveMySupra;1937533 said:
I'm interested but would like to see more detailed pics please.
Thanks, Chris.

Additional pictures are unavailable. The pictures below, of an RHD dashboard, provide a good idea of what the product will look like.

The dash cover:

- covers the entire top part of the dashboard, extending to the windshield
- Has openings for the defroster vents
- extends to the glove box
- wraps around the edges of the instrument panel area

70_dash_1.jpg

70_dash_2.jpg

For visual aid, below is a cloth cover made by Dashmat
3319_Red.jpg

Last edited: