Car wont start! Need to go to work tommorow!

mickgarvey

Jul 5, 2009
Mukilteo, Wa
Battery is good
going to check connections to the starter
any fuses i should check?

When i turn the key it doesnt really make any noise so it has to be a connection or fuse right? I really need to get to work tomorrow. :(

mickgarvey

Jul 5, 2009
Mukilteo, Wa
Car is auto. All electronics are functioning normally, checked fuses under hood and under drivers kickpanel.
-Tested battery and it is in perfect condition, it was a battery load tester as well.
-All connections to starter seem fine not loose.
Only thing weird is when I hold the key to start it the clock dims until its completely black. And also that little wire in the engine bay fuse box is in really crappy shape lol but I dont think it is the problem.

mickgarvey

Jul 5, 2009
Mukilteo, Wa
Oh actually when turning the key to start it the starter makes a click noise but nothing more. It makes the click noise each time you go to start it.

Kevin

7mgte -> 7mgte swap done.
Apr 20, 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada
sounds like the starter, get someone to help and try turning the key while you hit/tap the starter itself (using a wrench or hammer or something similar) and see if that starts the car.
worked for me with a starter and a window motor that went out. (doesnt fix it.. it just confirms if its the problem or not)

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
Winter Park, Florida, United States
Kevin;1534638 said:
sounds like the starter, get someone to help and try turning the key while you hit/tap the starter itself (using a wrench or hammer or something similar) and see if that starts the car.
worked for me with a starter and a window motor that went out. (doesnt fix it.. it just confirms if its the problem or not)

Keep in mind that this doesn't ALWAYS work, so if you tap the starter and it still doesn't start.. don't rule it out. It's just a way to confirm.. but yes it usually does work.

-Mike

mickgarvey

Jul 5, 2009
Mukilteo, Wa
It was the factory alarm. Im going to bitch slap my supra, they already got someone to cover me tommorow. I needed to work to Ive barely got any hours in this week.

Well at least I dont have to put a new starter in, I knew this one was to new to be giving me problems. I checked the wiring and fuses like 5 times too hahaha omg.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
First thing you have a "no crank' problem, not a no start.

now check that the small wire, at the starter, is normally ground (-) key off engine off.
now with the key at start, do you see power (+), at the small wire at the starter?

if you can switch the pos+ neg- signal, to the starter, with the key (and still no crank), you have a starter issue.

if you have a starter issue, remove starter.

if you have a starter that looks somewhat like the one pictured here (concentrating on the upper half (the other style looks nothing like this.))

Starter_08.JPG

remove three small bolts containing the solenoid, remove cover, plunger (clean up copper part of plunger) and spring. replace contacts shown here

starter7.jpg

put starter back together, reinstall starter, drive on.

HOWEVER if your starter looks like this

18-starter_motor-l.jpg

time for a real starter. NOTE the shape of the sol.

NOTE none of these starters are from a supra. images are a general idea of the actual configuration.

Silv89t

Mar 8, 2010
Fresno
Sounds familiar to me, on the positive side of starter, the plug somestimes get loose. To to make sure it's plug in all the way, take out the plastic piece that's covering the plus, then now try and connect the positive back into the starter and try starting again. If it's start then it's positive wire not getting full contact to the starter..It could be that too but also could be that your starter is bad that's why it's clicking...

Silv89t

Mar 8, 2010
Fresno
jetjock;1534746 said:
Not that it matters now but if the alarm was at fault it's not possible for the starter to click...

That's true what jetjock say'd, alarm trigger or fault doesn't make starter click.

Have you mess with any electrical wiring on the car before? Anything to do with electrical? Try to eliminated one problems at a time to find the problem.

mickgarvey

Jul 5, 2009
Mukilteo, Wa
It had to have been the relay clicking, it was impossible for me to turn the key and have my head near the engine bay so I just assumed it was the starter because it was so loud.