Car won't start after running perfectly

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Long story short.......I went to the dyno, car ran great. Drove it home, parked it, next day car won't start.
It has fuel and power to the coils, but the car isn't firing. I have a stinger 4424. I haven't touched any wiring between driving it home and starting the next day.
Any ideas on what could be causing this? Car just turns over but will not fire. I think it's in the Stinger but there's no one close that can let me try there's. Thanks.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I thought about that too. This garage across the road said to check ohms and if they oscillated while trying to crank it then the crank sensor was fine. The guy that works for me that helped me build this thing checked it and he said it was fine.......according to what Lester told us.
I'll google oscilliscope and see what it takes to check the sensor the right way. Thanks.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I fail to see how that will help me.........but in my defense, I'm a carpenter and not an engine tuner.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If you can attach it here then it could be more useful.

You can also see if the stinger is seeing engine rpm and such.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Well for starters, if the datalog shows engine speed you can be sure that the crank sensor is working without the all the shenanigans with the oscilloscope. Typical cranking speed is 300 rpm so its plainly visible on the datalog.

You can also check what air flow is being measured, and injector duration and so on. Its basically a big test bench all rolled up into a nice little package.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I have the stinger 4424 atm, but I'm getting the aem pretty soon. It does show rpm's though. I'll try it later on today. Thanks.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I still haven't datalogged it but I've ruled out the crank sensor. I put a new one on my car and it had no affect at all. It still does the same thing................nothing.

I will try to datalog tomorrow.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I datalogged while trying to crank it. I don't know if any of this helps.

rpm is 152
air temp 77
engine temp 82
ignition timing is 27.2
injector ms is 8.8
pressure is -5.01
battery volts is 7.9
I've got the charger on the battery now building it up.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
The battery is fully charged now and it was when we started this. It slowly drained down because of all the starting I was trying. Thanks.

din904

Oct 25, 2010
Jacksonvile,FL.
When starting the car your timing shouldn't be nowhere near 27 degrees of timing at 150 rpm you don't need all that timing my car starts at 5 degrees of timing. Check the basics compression,fuel and spark also double check all your grounds.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
The injection at 8.8ms is pretty close to what the stock ecu would use for a warmish start. That is a lot of timing, the stock ecu uses 10deg during cranking, but I would still expect it to light up. What this does confirm is that the ECU is getting all the inputs it needs and is producing reasonable outputs. Time to check for spark and fuel pressure under the hood. Your nose should help test if fuel is available!

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I have 42 pounds of fuel pressure at my AFPR and I have power to all of my coils..........they're just not firing.

din904

Oct 25, 2010
Jacksonvile,FL.
Fuel pressure doesn't mean that your injectors are firing. Also your ignition is negative trigger so yes you may have power but no trigger. Verify that your coils are not firing just put a timing light to it also verify your grounds just behind your fuse block is your igniter ground check all your connections also could be a bad ecu.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Before I read Din's post, I swapped out my cam sensors. I swapped the front for the back and vise versa. No change.
I'm in a real estate class all weekend so I won't be able to diagnose any thing until Monday. I will check the injectors then and I will also check the grounds. I don't have the stock igniter since I have the celica coils with their built in igniters. I also have a Stinger ECU and have been told that they rarely if ever go bad. I'm not saying they don't, but that's what I've been told so I'm leaving it to worst case scenario...................since I don't have one to swap it with.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions., Jay

Tsupra92

Dec 15, 2013
Utah
Ha having the same problem but with stock ecu. But did my crank sensor cam sensor map check fuel relays grounds fuse. I'm lost NEED HELP . Going to do my ecu next and if not that I don't know anymore:(

Tsupra92

Dec 15, 2013
Utah
I want to say it's my ecu because after I did all of those things my 1jz start and drove for a week then one morning it started doing it again.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Alright, I found the problem. With the help of a local supra owner / electrical guy, we've determined that it's the coils. I have the 1zzfe coils and they're getting power to them, but they're not firing. Jason took reading on one of my coils and then went home and checked his, and they're totally different. I've ordered new ones and they should be here after Christmas. Hopefully this will fix everything.

Now, my question is why would they have been running fine and then not the next day. I'm wondering if they somehow got a power surge that hurt them. I don't know what would make all six coils tear up at one single time unless something like that happened. It also scares me to install six new coils and have the same thing happen again. Any suggestions?