car wont go in gear?

1988_supra

Jul 31, 2010
Fall River
hey sm i put a new clutch in my 1990 toyota supra 7mgte and when i start it up it wont go in gear and i tried reverse and all it does is grind but if the car is turned off it will slip in easily, i bleed the clutch several times nothing, also when the car is running and i put the clutch down i can feel it pulse a bit, what could be my problem thanks guys

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
^+1

The disc specifically.
And if you just unbolt the slave cyl, you dont have to mess with bleeding the lines afterward.

1988_supra

Jul 31, 2010
Fall River
im pretty sure i put the disc in correctly with the alignment tool and all the friction disc is even labeled lol i can deffently take a look at it tomrrow cuz i could be a possibility but is there anything els it could be?

1988_supra

Jul 31, 2010
Fall River
yes i put a new throwout bearing and piolt bearing, and thats what i was thinkn mkiiichip but i need to check it out rite now its raining pretty bad out cant do nothing until tomrrow

1988_supra

Jul 31, 2010
Fall River
i pulled the plate off the fork today it is moving, i started the car up in gear and it wouldnt leave first but the clutch was grabing but all i could smell was burning clutch and while i was cranking it it was going pretty slow

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
sounds like a bad clutch. my uncle's dually wouldn't go in gear & would just grind when we tried to put it in gear when it was on. Turned it off & it went in all the gears easily. but when we turned it back on & it looked like it wanted to move but couldn't & died FAST. when we took the transmission down & got to the clutch it was down to the metal. SO IT MUST BE THE CLUTCH.. If it were one of the cylinders with air trapped inside the pedal would get stuck when you pushed. But i'd go ahead and bleed everything just for the hell of it.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
I had a similar experience after my clutch job. Even though you didn't mess with the master cylinder, still check to see if the pedal freeplay is adjusted correctly. I couldn't get mine into gear, so I condemned the master and after I put that in I had the same issue. Just had to adjust the pedal and now its all good.