car still wont crank over

drewsh666

feeling it
Feb 12, 2008
jackson CA
I checked all the fuses and they are fine now and tried the security trick even unhooked the battery but still nothing. To go with it the dash board wont light up when i turn on the head lights. does this sound like a short, or could it be a bad ground.

drewsh666

feeling it
Feb 12, 2008
jackson CA
what do you mean by idiot lights the only thing that lights up on the dash is the light for when the door is open and when i turn my high beams on

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
so when you turn the key to the on position you dont get a check engine light or anything else?-without turning on the headlights.

drewsh666

feeling it
Feb 12, 2008
jackson CA
Well i talked to a Toyota certified mechanic today and he printed me out the wiring diagram for the starting system and told me how to bypass the CSS and the theft deterrent system to try and start the car that way which it didn't work, which leads me to believe that the starter is the problem. So tomorrow after i get off work im going to see if the starter is getting power to it and check to see if the female connector is sending power to tell it to turn on when I turn the key to start. I also have a question. I know the starter gets grounded by just being bolted to the bell housing, but is it grounded by bolts that hold it on, or the sprocket that is in contact with the flywheel. If its the bolts, would them being anodized keep it from getting a good ground?

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
If the dash lights and climate control lights go off when you turn your head lights on, That sounds like you have a bad dimmer switch. You can bypass it or buy a new one. Pull it off and smell it.

This might be two issues, One being the dimmer switch and the other might be your starter.

Oh Yeah 500th post Official community member!!!!!!

Last edited:

drewsh666

feeling it
Feb 12, 2008
jackson CA
thanks for the info on the dash lights i will check TSRM tomorrow where its at but ive got to wake up in like 5 hours so i will post later if i get it to work

drewsh666

feeling it
Feb 12, 2008
jackson CA
i think i figured out my problem the 100A fuse that is is inline between the battery and the power cable to the starter appears to be blown

Attachments

• DSC01251..JPG
    DSC01251..JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 21

drewsh666

feeling it
Feb 12, 2008
jackson CA
Yup, but now I've got to figure out some bugs like I've got a code 51. I'm going to try and find that problem out in the morning. It also likes to cut out for a second when I give it some juice and it dies sometimes after I bring it up to 4k then let off the gas but other than that it idles perfect.

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
The part about it dying sound kinda like a vacuum leak. Code 51 is the tps. did you adjust it? Or did you have your foot on the gas when you checked for codes? It could also be you ac button in the on position.

drewsh666

feeling it
Feb 12, 2008
jackson CA
I tried to adjust it but im not too sure that im doing it right. I've taken a look at the TSRM specs and did exactly what it says to do but the readings i get are strange.