Car sometimes wont start

2543arvin

Moving to Japan!!!
Nov 30, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
Okay, some background info:

-the battery is 2 months old and will hold a charge

-the cars runs fine once its started (rules out alternator)

Alright, every now and then, but more so recently, the supra wont turn over when I try to start it. Somehow it is losing voltage somewhere, because I try to start it and nothing happens. All the electronics work but all I hear is a click from the starter relay (I think) and then nothing.

At first I thought it might be the wiring from the battery to the starter, but after reading on here, it sounds like the starter. However, once I hook up the jumper cables it will start right up. Would the car start with jumper cables if it had a bad starter? Also I looked at the Alternator fuse in the main box and noticed that it has some corrosion on it and that got me interested. Could that fuse be the culprit?

Sorry for the long post, but Im really lost here, especially when it comes to dealing with electrical problems.

Thank you for your help,
Brandon

89supracrazy

Oct 31, 2009
wise
It could be your anti theft. Next time it dont start try shutting the doors and lock them with the key and then unlock them. Try to wait a few seconds when you lock the doors before you unlock them. It supposed to reset the system. If that dont work go to the passenger door and do the same. If that does work then you can bypass it. They are some threads here that you can search for.

2543arvin

Moving to Japan!!!
Nov 30, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
Yeah, I know about the anti theft system. Ive had that happen quite a few times. This isnt the case. The way I have to start it is with jumper cables. The anti theft wouldnt allow it if that were the case.

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
the clicking noise you are hearing is the solenoid in the starter. This is a very common problem with toyota starters. rebuilding the starter should fix the problem
if you have a starter that looks somewhat like the one pictured here (concentrating on the upper half (the other style looks nothing like this.)) this style is easily rebuildable

Starter_08.JPG

remove three small bolts containing the solenoid, remove cover, plunger (clean up copper part of plunger) and spring. replace contacts shown here

starter7.jpg

put starter back together, reinstall starter, drive on.

HOWEVER if your starter looks like this

18-starter_motor-l.jpg

time for a real starter. NOTE the shape of the sol.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
The starter relay is in the passenger foot well. If you're referring to the starter solenoid then mkiiichip's post is likely correct. Either the contacts or brushes are worn. Both can be replaced although I don't recommend replacing the brushes unless you know what you're doing and can also machine the commutator.

blk91

Aug 29, 2005
ca
might be worth jiggling cps wires and trying to start it then. seen that a few times...cranks but no spark

2543arvin

Moving to Japan!!!
Nov 30, 2006
Jacksonville, NC
Alright, the problem seems to have gone away. I went and replaced the Alternator 100 amp fuse and sanded down the contacts on the starter relay and now it starts with no problems. However, seeing that this problem is sporatic, I will let you guys know how it holds up. Thanks for your help.

Brandon

vmoua509

SpokaneSupras
Sep 17, 2007
Spokane, WA
www.cardomain.com
2543arvin;1535052 said:
Okay, some background info:

-the battery is 2 months old and will hold a charge

-the cars runs fine once its started (rules out alternator)

Alright, every now and then, but more so recently, the supra wont turn over when I try to start it. Somehow it is losing voltage somewhere, because I try to start it and nothing happens. All the electronics work but all I hear is a click from the starter relay (I think) and then nothing.

At first I thought it might be the wiring from the battery to the starter, but after reading on here, it sounds like the starter. However, once I hook up the jumper cables it will start right up. Would the car start with jumper cables if it had a bad starter? Also I looked at the Alternator fuse in the main box and noticed that it has some corrosion on it and that got me interested. Could that fuse be the culprit?

Sorry for the long post, but Im really lost here, especially when it comes to dealing with electrical problems.

Thank you for your help,
Brandon

Since your car starts right up with the use of jumper cables.... check your ground wires coming from the negative battery post. The same thing happened in my buddy's 88 supra turbo the night we went to buy it! I fixed it right in front of the owner and we drove it home!