Car not starting randomly? READ THIS (30 Amp Starter Relay Mod)

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
Satan;2022422 said:
... Just look at the freakin' tech tips and other mods for frequent/stupid issues like this... Fix it how you feel is best for your situation and quit being jackwagons at others who don't necessarily agree with you.

If U don't care for or value the differences in opinions for addressing an issue, why not just STFU?

There's been enough good/bad info and opinions in here. Can't we just lock this Fing thread already, so the righteous and the wrong can stop w/the butthurt??

Satan;2022491 said:
.... No new beneficial info is being provided, just more opportunity for negative statements/debate...My bad, for even looking at the thread again... I thought there was more useful/technical info being added with the newer posts.

Please do, move on. Because your colorful language is not admirable and, as you say, you have contributed "No new beneficial info.."

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
I'm a little late to the party but I had an idea:
I'll do the 30 amp relay mod, then I'll add another relay to turn THAT relay on. Then another relay to turn THAT one on.
Then I'll post some pictures and recommend everyone follow suit, and take comfort in knowing I have caused my fellow forum members at least a dozen brain aneurysms. :biglaugh:

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
^^Thanks for your technical contributions. A post, to talk about another post, in a thread you were not already a part of. Smart. We need your superiority here! Welcome to the new Supraforums Off Topic section.

I just "brought a friend" to the thread, to show him the "stock" circuit and normal-troubleshooting method (not what I did), since he is having starting issues. I've copied out the entire thread, so that he can have it to reference and not have to join this circus/forum. Thanks again!

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Maybe this will add some value, who knows... top problem areas:

1) Starter motor itself (bad copper contacts in starter solenoid)
2) Ignition switch
3) Pax side kick panel starter relay
4) NSW switch (A/T only)
5) bad clutch interlock switch (MT only)
6) mangled/damaged/loose starter wire connector at starter.

Use voltage drop test to troubleshoot 2-4.

miekedmr

mkiii in hibernation
Jul 12, 2005
Upstate NY
Satan: Sorry guy, was just an attempt at comic relief --I wasn't really trying to insult you or anyone else. I definitely don't think I'm superior. I'm a hobbyist who embarrasses myself all the time, like when I advised someone on here to buy the wrong type of motor mount. :(
My post was as much to poke fun at people getting upset at this mod as anyone doing it. That someone figured out a relatively simple way to get their cars to start reliably is of value, even if it's not ideal, IMHO. Many people out there can't even be bothered to go to get oil changes regularly, let alone troubleshoot electrical problems on their own. Most on this forum are relative geniuses compared to drivers in general.
That said, even when people are jerks about it, some of them provide a lot of knowledge at no cost to us. Someone occasionally berating me on a forum for being wrong or just not fully understanding something or even just rubbing them the wrong way is not that big a price to pay for access to the expertise here.
Sorry to post more off-topic crap, but I felt it was a *little* on-topic given the argument in this thread.

SiberianDVM

Dec 31, 2013
Augusta, GA
This thread is just too epic to be allowed to die.

Lately my 89 Mk3 ChumpCar has been showing the symptoms of intermittent starter solenoid failure. Since one of my drivers was over this weekend, we decided to investigate. Removing the starter from the engine was a major PIA. I can only imagine how much harder putting it back in is going to be. Once we got the POS out, we disassembled the solenoid, and one of the contacts is about 90% worn away. The other contact and the center piece that actually moves show only mild wear and oxidation. I ordered a new contact. If they show up I will replace it and spend a couple of hours trying to get that darn starter back in. If the piece is NLA, I will have to make one out of copper plate.

Attachments

• IMG_0032.jpg
    IMG_0032.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 50

SiberianDVM

Dec 31, 2013
Augusta, GA
Got 2 new solenoid contacts online delivered for about $32. 15 minutes to reassemble and then 1 hour to get the darn starter back on by myself.But it works.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Congrats. In my experience, the simplest way to get the starter on is to remove the alternator and run a 3foot extension from the front of the engine to the starter bolts. Also,for 91/92 the starter is threaded, so that is another way to simplify the install.

SiberianDVM

Dec 31, 2013
Augusta, GA
3p141592654;2043736 said:
Congrats. In my experience, the simplest way to get the starter on is to remove the alternator and run a 3foot extension from the front of the engine to the starter bolts. Also,for 91/92 the starter is threaded, so that is another way to simplify the install.

Didn't think about removing the alternator. The hardest part for me was pushing the starter up from the bottom through the maze of hoses and wires and getting it located. Removing the clutch slave cylinder helped a bit but the fuel lines were the biggest hindrance.

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
I need to check voltage at the starter when cranking. I've replaced just about everything, as I thought it was a starter switch issue at first. Cleaned the starter switch.. Cured it for awhile.. Now I've replaced the starter switch.. Still does a weird click.. crank thing. Replaced the connector at the starter, and it helped. A little less of a click before the crank. But it still worries me. If the voltage at the starter is less than a half a volt less or so than battery voltage ill probably replace those contacts.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
This thread has gone on for too long. I too am having these issues, but I refuse to do the extra relay. After searching through the internet for a while, I found a "how to" courtesy of Toyota to step by step diagnose the starting system. I will share it with you all. Its helping me find my real issue.

View attachment h7.pdf

Starter_VoltageDropTest.gif~original.gif

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
For me it actually did end up being the switch. Didn't realise that even though there's a starter relay, all current goes through the starter switch. I figured it just tripped the relay. So silly me, I wired in a cheapo switch with whatever size of wire I could find. Didn't work too well. Replaced it with a high current switch (20 amps at 120v) and proper 10 gauge wire (iirc) and no more issues. Had 30-40 starts yesterday at the autocross (didn't wanna heat soak sitting in line) and absolutely ZERO issues.