car not running right

89Turbo7M

BLUEBULLET
Jan 12, 2008
area 51
The car was running good before i put in a new raidiator, hosing, sensors, thermostat and i got 62mm throttle body redone at rabid chimp for my 7mgte the timing and screw adjustment is fine also the tps is brand new when i start it, it runs fine then you can hear the exhaust sputter shaking alittle just sitting at idle not running right need help please what can be the problem?

89Turbo7M

BLUEBULLET
Jan 12, 2008
area 51
their is no error codes the tb gasket is fine its brand new i have checked all the vaccum hoses nothing wrong. i have checked all the spark plugs pulled them out and checked them then put back in they are all brand new. after i did that i started it and the arrow will stay between 1 and 2 rpm when i try to accelerate over 2 rpm it wants to clunk out after letting it sit their for 10min the arrow goes down and stays over the 1 rpm. i also have cleaned the air filter with water and let it dry i have a hks 200mm filter still nothing.

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
Correct firing order? the air filter was completely dry correct no oil applied to it? If so may have messed up afm. Have you checked fuel pressure? what are your mods? I would think that running a bigger throttle body with no supporting mods would be the same as running a bigger afm with no injectors?

Tps may be new but is it adjusted properly?

boostcraver

Mar 13, 2010
Louisville, KY
89supra7mgte;1597315 said:
Correct firing order? the air filter was completely dry correct no oil applied to it? If so may have messed up afm. Have you checked fuel pressure? what are your mods? I would think that running a bigger throttle body with no supporting mods would be the same as running a bigger afm with no injectors?

Tps may be new but is it adjusted properly?

Second that on the TPS adjustment. Mine was out of wack after my rebuild. Did similar things to what you are describing. After a little tweak, it now runs as it should. Also, if you are running on the stock ECU, injectors, AFM etc, you may be hitting fuel cut due to the increased airflow through the throttle body. It would seem logical as that can happen at stock or near stock boost levels when using a larger turbo through a stock throttle body. I may be wrong. I have no hard evidence to support that theory. You could put it to the test by installing a stock throttle body with properly adjusted TPS and see what happens. Good Luck!

89Turbo7M

BLUEBULLET
Jan 12, 2008
area 51
ok i put back the stock throttle body still does it i took it to toyota to have it checked today they couldnt find nothing wrong they say its a misfire but the spark plugs are allright they say it could be the nology spark plug wires i might need to replace them? when i drive it you can feel the car sputtering and when i accelerate and then brake you feel the car like its misfiring almost conked out i dont know what to do now need help badly any thoughts guys thanks

Last edited:

boostcraver

Mar 13, 2010
Louisville, KY
You never said if you had the TPS properly adjusted (per TSRM specs). Assuming proper adjustment of TPS, if Toyota could not find anything mechanically wrong, you may have a wiring issue. Check the engine wiring harness for signs of wear at any point that it contacts metal under the hood. Also look for loose pins in the connectors, especially on the CPS. If possible, replace with a known good harness for the purposes of testing and see if the problem persists. A friend of mine had randomly occuring driveability issues with his old DD. When he bought his current car, it was a shell with no engine but a good harness and ECU. Once he put his engine under the new harness, all the problems ceased. Just another theory that may not be anything, but if it doesn't work, at least you will have eliminated another possibility. Good luck!

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
What is the fuel pressure? good? may have a pump that is going out which will not set a code but still feel like a misfire when not working properly? Would still once again check tps and make sure it is adjusted properly as we have suggested. what have you done as far as diag goes? other than take it to toyota?

89Turbo7M

BLUEBULLET
Jan 12, 2008
area 51
checked tps it is fine, ic pipes are fine, nothing is disconnected, no vaccum leaks of any kind, nothing leaking, messed with the cps and almost eliminated all the fluttering from the exhaust still alittle their when driving you can feel the flutter then goes to driving smoothly then does it again, when im parked ,stopping at a light you can feel the misfire the little missfire it also sounds like the fuel is not burning fast enough when i am boosting maybe i need to put grade 3 gas in i am using regular right know maybe fuel filter? fuel pump?

89Turbo7M

BLUEBULLET
Jan 12, 2008
area 51
wnet to another toyota i have a mechanic thats a supra wiz he is the one who helped rebuild it when it was still my dads he says i need a head gasket. Can a metal head gasket go bad in 10-13 years? he says they used a oem head gasket when they rebiult it and my dad says they used a metal head gasket not sure what kind so im not sure. help anyone??????? this is driving me crazy

89Turbo7M

BLUEBULLET
Jan 12, 2008
area 51
what is the best headgasket to get for a stock supra that will last , with a ported and polished two piece manifold, stage 2 ct-26 soon, 62mm throttle body would like some help thanks guys

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
First of all forget the head gasket, if its not overheating or losing coolant. You said you are running reg gas? theres your problem there put in atleast 91 octane. and try again. your are more than likely noticing the mis more at idle to fuel grade.

89Turbo7M

BLUEBULLET
Jan 12, 2008
area 51
i have put the highest grade of gasoline in it still got the same symptoms, the overflow tank goes pretty fast overtime when i fill it up so i dont fill it up anymore the car lacks power i am not getting what i used to for some reason i have put on a new exhaust from tanabe the touring one really quiet witch is awsome im thinking i need to replace the fuel filter, fuel pump, head gasket nobody can give me a straight answer to what the problem is its really pissing me off.

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
Does it smoke ever? where is the coolant going? A bhg if bad is gonna overflow the expansion tank and overheat. chances might be that your turbo maybe leaking coolant internally, pushing it engine slowly causing your misfire. have you pulled plugs? checked compression (for bhg) Are you running an aftermarket boost gauge that shows vac? if so what is vac at idle? what is your fuel pressure? where is the timing set at? codes?

What are your mods again? top to bottom

89Turbo7M

BLUEBULLET
Jan 12, 2008
area 51
never hasent smoked i dont know where the coolant is going their is no leaks period the plugs have been pulled they are fine, having compression checked soon i do not have a after market boost gauge, their are no codes, vaccume lines are good, manifold and other areas have been checked for leaks nothing, intercooler pipes are fine, plugs and wires are fine, has been taken to two differnt toyotas the first one cant figure it out the second dealership says its a head gasket my dad says its not he has a mk3 too he cant figure it out either. mods are port and polished two piece manifold, 62mm throttle body, nkg one step colder iridium pugs, nology spark plug wires, aem cam gears, greddy timing belt, hks bov, hks 200mm filter, tundra transmission, cooleeze accordian hardpipe, full downpipe from driftmotion, brand new stock koyo radiator from driftmotion, the rest of it is stock.

89supra7mgte

Sep 20, 2009
colorado
And the symptoms again? just misses lack of power? low end or top is it worse?what rpm ranges? whats your base timing set at? along with total time? one step colder on the plugs so they are 7s? and you are running stock injectors and afm housing? but bigger tbody and ported manifold? Need to hook up a vac gauge and see what your reading is at idle and see if it jumps.